Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
An extra reason to want Sanchez in Jan is we need to be able to rest KDB. KDB's main weakness is when he is knackered he can have periods where nothing comes off - eg. around the Monaco away game he was bang out of form for a number of weeks.

I'm convinced Sanchez could play in his position.

Why would we play Sanchez in De Bruyne's position instead of Gundogan or Bernardo Silva, 2 players who actually play that position?

As I've maintained all along, I'm struggling to see any negatives with Sanchez to City.

You're really not looking very hard then, are you?

Whether you agree with them or not, there's been plenty of good reasons to not sign Sanchez in January raised over the last 3000 pages, not least of which is that we have 1 free slot for a foreign player, and while we currently have 5 players for 3 forward positions, we've got 1 defensive midfielder who's about to turn 33 and has dipped in the second half of seasons before, our CB cover is Mangala who looked out of place against Wolves reserve team, and our only fit left back is a midfielder who spent the last 2 years injured and was helped off the pitch by the medical team after the Arsenal game with an injury that kept him out of the international team.

No matter how much you love Sanchez, you'd have to be completely pig-headed to not acknowledge that maybe we have more pressing concerns in the squad than a 6th forward.

We will almost defintitely get Sanchez, Pep obviously wants him, but if we buy him in January instead of reinforcing the positions in need of it, and Delph, Stones, Otamendi or Fernandinho get injured, we're fucked, no contending for the CL, no chance.

This is about a world class player who adds strength to our depth, is in the prime of his career, who enables us to rest & rotate key players without an appreciable drop in performance, & is going cheap in today's crazy over inflated market.

Notwithstanding all of this, the player knows the PL, he also knows Pep & more importantly, Pep knows the player & what our squad needs.

As I've maintained all along, I'm struggling to see any negatives with Sanchez to City.
I agree with all of that. I was merely saying that, if it doesn’t happen, we will be in a relatively strong position, regardless.

Why would we play Sanchez in De Bruyne's position instead of Gundogan or Bernardo Silva, 2 players who actually play that position?

and while we currently have 5 players for 3 forward positions

Think you are counting Bernardo Silva twice , I actually agree with you first post that he covers David Silva. I don't think he adequately covers Sterling or Sane so we don't really have cover for either. I agree we need cover for Fernandinho whether that's a new player or a new left back and Delph covers not sure but we need Sanchez to cover the wide attacking positions just as much.

Think you are counting Bernardo Silva twice , I actually agree with you first post that he covers David Silva. I don't think he adequately covers Sterling or Sane so we don't really have cover for either. I agree we need cover for Fernandinho whether that's a new player or a new left back and Delph covers not sure but we need Sanchez to cover the wide attacking positions just as much.

Guardiola obviously thinks Bernardo is cover for Sterling and Sané as he's started him over both out wide, and Silva said in his interview Pep sees him playing there.

Pep's also referred to having 5 strikers this season, by which I'm pretty sure he means forwards and is including Bernardo.

Gundogan can easily give De Bruyne rest if he needs it, if he gets injured then Silva can cover both KDB and the wide players because he is only back up.

Fucking hell, some fans arguing over potentially signing Sanchez, I remember being genuinely excited when we signed the likes of Mpenza and Benjani

Fucking hell, some fans arguing over potentially signing Sanchez, I remember being genuinely excited when we signed the likes of Mpenza and Benjani
Apparantly he is old and out of form ,lost his pace and a mardarse that will upset the team,i prefer the world class,tevez like on the pitch determination and excellent for the kids to learn from and a manager who knows him a darn sight better than we do and all for free or a quarter of his normal cost,oh and piss the arses off

Whether you agree with them or not, there's been plenty of good reasons to not sign Sanchez in January raised over the last 3000 pages, not least of which is that we have 1 free slot for a foreign player, and while we currently have 5 players for 3 forward positions, we've got 1 defensive midfielder who's about to turn 33 and has dipped in the second half of seasons before, our CB cover is Mangala who looked out of place against Wolves reserve team, and our only fit left back is a midfielder who spent the last 2 years injured and was helped off the pitch by the medical team after the Arsenal game with an injury that kept him out of the international team.

No matter how much you love Sanchez, you'd have to be completely pig-headed to not acknowledge that maybe we have more pressing concerns in the squad than a 6th forward.

We will almost defintitely get Sanchez, Pep obviously wants him, but if we buy him in January instead of reinforcing the positions in need of it, and Delph, Stones, Otamendi or Fernandinho get injured, we're fucked, no contending for the CL, no chance.

Some of those problems could be offset by Mangala and/or Toure leaving and being replaced in January. Whether or not three arrivals in that window is realistic, I don't know, but you'd think the club would do everything in their power to get Guardiola the players he needs for a crack at the PL & CL this season. With the relative issues facing Bayern, Barca and Real there is an opportunity there.

I totally agree with @blueparrot .
That's why I am sure Sanchez was the 5th forward to be added in summer and since it didn't happen Bernardo has to help covering Raz instead of covering Silva and KDB. Pep had to change his plans.

Furthermore you are talking about 1 free foreign CL spot in the squad (guess you mean Mendy).
(We have 3 free foreign domestic spots, with Sané turning 22 on 11 Jan, then taking one of them.)
You could as well add Yaya, Zinchenko and Kompany as no one of them did play a CL minute this season and I think it's not too much speculation they won't play in the biggest games come February.

Dinho still can play loads of matches and was covered by Yaya in the cup games. If Yaya leaves in January, we need cover. But I guess it's not easy to find an upgrade for that position in the winter window pre WC in summer. Has to wait a bit that topic. Danilo still there too.

Yes, LB will be addressed in some way. Zinchenko doesn't have the defensive quality (yet?).

There is a last point well underrated by many:

Defensive players don't have the same intensity and mental pressure as forwards, that's not rocket science. We have many great defending teams in PL and even lower leagues. Our game is outstanding and dominating through our creative elements.
Therefore it's key to have fresh players in the creative part of our game. Fresh legs and fresh head. We will always see more rotation in our forward department compared to our defence, where we want to see stability.

Thus I don't really get why so many think we are overloaded upfront, even now.

If you lads don't like Sanchez, fine. I do.
But we do need more options upfront if we want to play the way we do over a tough and long season, and also against other top sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.