All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Gave this a few more plays today, and was suprised by how much note taking I did. Ended up a bit disorganised. Much like this record really, and not necessarily a bad thing.

It has a pretty unusual sound, one that i'm not used to or familiar with either, so it did take me a while to 'get it' so to speak. Yesterday I said I didn't like his voice, still dont really, but it does kind of suit here.

I also said I thought it was a bit dull. I was wrong. It's not dull at all, just different.

They sound to me like they are very much doing their own thing, whilst not giving a single fuck about it. (Is this where the punk thing comes into it + i'm stating the obvious? more on this in a mo) So they would get praise for this alone, even if I didn't like the result.

I really like the stripped back style, they sound like talented buskers- playing for enjoyment. If someone throws a quid in (sorry, dollar) that's cool, but not why they do it.

(Quick note here- believe it or not I wrote that last bit before I read on spotify today that they were discovered busking. Honest!)

The lyrics are basic (deliberately so I reckon) but the music is quirky enough for me to forget that and just enjoy the tunes for what they are, for the most part catchy.
Love the jangly, loose + scattery playing on some of the tracks, 'blister in the sun', 'prove my love' + 'kiss off' being the 3 most obvious ones. That twangy guitar sound on the latter is ace (is it a gretsh or just the way it's amped?) They sound like they're jamming, and not particularly trying too hard, but the result is pleasing and a welcome change.

In places on 'please do not go' it sounds like they are almost going to get out of time, but never quite do. I like that aspect, even though it's one of the weakest tracks here.

'Add it up' had me nodding away in mini headbanging approval, as did 'promise' both involved involuntary foot tappage as well, never a bad thing, say no more.
I cant get my head round the punk thing though. I'm hearing quite a bit of rockabilly here, folkabilly?
I actually scribbled "stray cats lite" down in my notes, hence the gretsh question earlier. And is that a double bass on 'prove my love' ? If not it should be....maybe it's just me.

Weak tracks then, for me, 'to the kill', the above mentioned 'please do not go' + 'confessions'
So, not the most technical record ever made we all know that. But it proves that simple doesn't have to be boring and uninteresting.
I've not checked any chordage out but i'm willing to bet most of the progressions could be played by a less than average guitar player. But could they recreate that sound, that feel? Doubt it.
Let's face it, disect this and there's nothing being done here that we haven't all heard before, but it's the way it's put together makes it what it is. The sum is bigger than the parts if that makes sense, and less in this case is definately more. Gives us sub-standard strummers hope, if nothing else! Fair play to them for releasing this at all, if ever a record could have got an undeserved slating, it's this one.

So overall a good day at work for me, as I had this to keep me company. Something a bit differant, mainly upbeat, and a grower. What more could you want?
Will return to listen to this again at some point i'm sure, but for now the self perceived weak tracks prevent it being more than a very solid 6/10.
In 12 months time it may be higher, as I get to know it better, which i'm sure it deserves.
Enjoyable and memorable.

Oh, happy to be educated on the instruments used btw.

Gave this a few more plays today, and was suprised by how much note taking I did. Ended up a bit disorganised. Much like this record really, and not necessarily a bad thing.

It has a pretty unusual sound, one that i'm not used to or familiar with either, so it did take me a while to 'get it' so to speak. Yesterday I said I didn't like his voice, still dont really, but it does kind of suit here.

I also said I thought it was a bit dull. I was wrong. It's not dull at all, just different.

They sound to me like they are very much doing their own thing, whilst not giving a single fuck about it. (Is this where the punk thing comes into it + i'm stating the obvious? more on this in a mo) So they would get praise for this alone, even if I didn't like the result.

I really like the stripped back style, they sound like talented buskers- playing for enjoyment. If someone throws a quid in (sorry, dollar) that's cool, but not why they do it.

(Quick note here- believe it or not I wrote that last bit before I read on spotify today that they were discovered busking. Honest!)

The lyrics are basic (deliberately so I reckon) but the music is quirky enough for me to forget that and just enjoy the tunes for what they are, for the most part catchy.
Love the jangly, loose + scattery playing on some of the tracks, 'blister in the sun', 'prove my love' + 'kiss off' being the 3 most obvious ones. That twangy guitar sound on the latter is ace (is it a gretsh or just the way it's amped?) They sound like they're jamming, and not particularly trying too hard, but the result is pleasing and a welcome change.

In places on 'please do not go' it sounds like they are almost going to get out of time, but never quite do. I like that aspect, even though it's one of the weakest tracks here.

'Add it up' had me nodding away in mini headbanging approval, as did 'promise' both involved involuntary foot tappage as well, never a bad thing, say no more.
I cant get my head round the punk thing though. I'm hearing quite a bit of rockabilly here, folkabilly?
I actually scribbled "stray cats lite" down in my notes, hence the gretsh question earlier. And is that a double bass on 'prove my love' ? If not it should be....maybe it's just me.

Weak tracks then, for me, 'to the kill', the above mentioned 'please do not go' + 'confessions'
So, not the most technical record ever made we all know that. But it proves that simple doesn't have to be boring and uninteresting.
I've not checked any chordage out but i'm willing to bet most of the progressions could be played by a less than average guitar player. But could they recreate that sound, that feel? Doubt it.
Let's face it, disect this and there's nothing being done here that we haven't all heard before, but it's the way it's put together makes it what it is. The sum is bigger than the parts if that makes sense, and less in this case is definately more. Gives us sub-standard strummers hope, if nothing else! Fair play to them for releasing this at all, if ever a record could have got an undeserved slating, it's this one.

So overall a good day at work for me, as I had this to keep me company. Something a bit differant, mainly upbeat, and a grower. What more could you want?
Will return to listen to this again at some point i'm sure, but for now the self perceived weak tracks prevent it being more than a very solid 6/10.
In 12 months time it may be higher, as I get to know it better, which i'm sure it deserves.
Enjoyable and memorable.

Awesome review bud

Enjoyable and memorable.

Another great examination!

It’s definitely easier when you’ve heard a record as many times as I’ve heard this one. I’m still wrestling with Lonesome Jubilee on the other thread!

Enjoyable and memorable.

Very good, and another demonstration of the quality and value of this thread. It’s very easy to say you like or hate something, but some of the discussions that we’ve got going on here are forcing us all to think about what we want out of the music we listen to. Rather than listening to our favourite albums all the time, it’s good to randomly sample what others like and break it down in terms of why it does or doesn’t work for us.

Finally! A decent band!
Monday night at the Ritz dancing to Gone Daddy Gone or Add it up. Great times.

2 years ago I missed out on seeing the VF's touring the US with Echo and the Bunnymen. The bands swapped each night being first on / last on. Nearest they played to me was St Augustine 3 hours away mid week so gave it a miss.

And what would you give it out of 10 ?

I am very impressed by the people on here that take the time to review the album song by song although it makes my 'I quite liked it' seem very lame indeed.

As for the album, I quite liked it :-)

The opener is very familiar, must have been used on TV for something but that doesn't detract from it being a really good song. Others came through in different ways that made them sound like Jonathan Richman and The Velvet Underground. Some songs sounded really fresh whilst others seemed so dated in sound and lyrical content that I sort of cringed listening.

I have been back to it a couple of times which is always a good sign.

All in all a solid 6/10 from me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.