All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

John Legend? Don't know if he has an album in the RS Top 100?
Or maybe Ryan Adams with "Gold"?

Having quibbled with Metallica being a more SF than LA band, I wonder if it’s Springsteen, even though he’s obviously more a New Jersey than a New York man . . . and had our intrepid leader said “New Jersey” we would have known instantly it was him . . . .

Having quibbled with Metallica being a more SF than LA band, I wonder if it’s Springsteen, even though he’s obviously more a New Jersey than a New York man . . . and had our intrepid leader said “New Jersey” we would have known instantly it was him . . . .

eeexactly... i can't make it too easy for you Music gurus - could be where they were born, formed, recorded or where they bought their dog

still in rage you got Violent Femmes from my clue

And of course The Rising has many 9/11-themed songs.

But I think I've cracked it. I know Mr Hammer is a fan of Bob Dylan so calling our next artist a "legendary songwriter" is natural, and I know that Modern Times was recorded in New York. The thing that has me running down to the bookies to stake some money on this album is the similarity between the Modern Times album cover and the photo he posted in the clue. I rest my case.

Music is a strange beast, and Ive found over my long life that you should never criticise peoples tastes or opinions. I know people who spend literally many thousands on hardware, $12000 just on speakers.
They would not entertain listening to compressed music on Spotify etc. I know a guy who wont listen to anything after the 60's, music is eclectic it affects people in different ways.
Whilst I love Jazz and Rock and Pop and Blues and singer/songwriters I still say that the movement "Nimrod" from Elgars Enigma Variations is the greatest piece of music ever written! Closely followed by the beautifull choral works of Benjamin Britten. But thats MY taste, I know Beethoven was the master.
Paul Simon stole this for his song April Come She Will, the brilliant "Cuckoo" but Benjamin came up with the idea first.
Listen to that voice.

I Find people like your Elvis guy very interesting personally, he obviously gets all he needs from the king of R & R, the world is an interesting place, made all the more interesting by people like him imo.

Hey Bill.
I played the Elgar movement this morning, after reading your post. You're right, it's beautiful.
I'm a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to classical music I'm afraid. It's definitely an area I've shied away from in the past, whilst secretly admiring and wanting to learn more.
I hope you nominate a classical album on the other thread.

And of course The Rising has many 9/11-themed songs.

But I think I've cracked it. I know Mr Hammer is a fan of Bob Dylan so calling our next artist a "legendary songwriter" is natural, and I know that Modern Times was recorded in New York. The thing that has me running down to the bookies to stake some money on this album is the similarity between the Modern Times album cover and the photo he posted in the clue. I rest my case.
Ha, that's awesome! Great shout. I looked at the RS top 100 of the 2000s and I was like, "legendary singer/songwriter . . . hmmmm . . . nah, Dylan's from Minnesota (like The Replacements!) -- can't be him."

If it IS Dylan, knowing Mr. Hammer's proclivities as you state, we may need an official i(e)nquiry into the "randomness" of the random number generator! :)

Though I'd welcome some hip hop just as a change of pace, I'd be happy to hear more Dylan. I'd bet money no other artist has records in the top 1,100 that span SIX (!) decades.

Ha, that's awesome! Great shout. I looked at the RS top 100 of the 2000s and I was like, "legendary singer/songwriter . . . hmmmm . . . nah, Dylan's from Minnesota (like The Replacements!) -- can't be him."

If it IS Dylan, knowing Mr. Hammer's proclivities as you state, we may need an official i(e)nquiry into the "randomness" of the random number generator! :)

Though I'd welcome some hip hop just as a change of pace, I'd be happy to hear more Dylan. I'd bet money no other artist has records in the top 1,100 that span SIX (!) decades.
You know I said I wasn’t really keen on punk? Well, hip-hop might just be a step too far for me to stomach. But I suppose that it’s inevitable if we stick with the list. Maybe I’ll like it, stranger things have happened.

You know I said I wasn’t really keen on punk? Well, hip-hop might just be a step too far for me to stomach. But I suppose that it’s inevitable if we stick with the list. Maybe I’ll like it, stranger things have happened.
I like early hip-hop (especially Public Enemy and Beastie Boys) when bands could rip off whatever sound they wanted without having to pay royalties -- a license to steal. But it was of course stealing -- and so the wide open field of creativity shrunk as quickly as it expanded. There are a few artists I like post-80s (MIA springs to mind) but I am so woefully unknowledgeable about the genre that I have no context for comparison to other artists nor evolution of the form.

Yup, Dylan is a Minnesotan but I think it can only be Dylan or Bruce. I'd like it to be Magic but The Rising or Modern Times would do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.