All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

I like early hip-hop (especially Public Enemy and Beastie Boys) when bands could rip off whatever sound they wanted without having to pay royalties -- a license to steal. But it was of course stealing -- and so the wide open field of creativity shrunk as quickly as it expanded. There are a few artists I like post-80s (MIA springs to mind) but I am so woefully unknowledgeable about the genre that I have no context for comparison to other artists nor evolution of the form.

I'm similar to you on this. No idea about MIA. Most Hip Hop is a mystery to me.

I'm similar to you on this. No idea about MIA. Most Hip Hop is a mystery to me.
I love Paper Planes which was the huge hit and the two records I’ve heard by her are unique and diverse and funky — something to be said for the daughter of a Tamil revolutionary making music; messages about a world I don’t know.

Reactions: OB1
Hey Bill.
I played the Elgar movement this morning, after reading your post. You're right, it's beautiful.
I'm a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to classical music I'm afraid. It's definitely an area I've shied away from in the past, whilst secretly admiring and wanting to learn more.
I hope you nominate a classical album on the other thread.
Glad you enjoyed it mate. There's many different versions, but this is my favourite conducted by the brilliant Daniel Barenboin.

Yup, Dylan is a Minnesotan but I think it can only be Dylan or Bruce. I'd like it to be Magic but The Rising or Modern Times would do.
I like Magic better than The Rising too. Both albums have their highlights but The Rising suffers from the fifteen-songs-so-there-are-at-least-four-or-five-duds syndrome.

Reactions: OB1
21/1100

1633684583188.png

"Love And Theft" (generally referred to as Love and Theft) is the 31st studio album by American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, released on September 11, 2001, by Columbia Records. (In the UK its release was one day earlier, September 10, following the tradition for albums to be released on Mondays in the UK.) It featured backing by his touring band of the time, with keyboardist Augie Meyers added for the sessions. It peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard 200, and has been certified Gold by the RIAA. A limited edition release included two bonus tracks on a separate disc recorded in the early 1960s, and two years later, on September 16, 2003, this album was remixed into 5.1 surround sound and became one of fifteen Dylan titles reissued and remastered for SACD playback.

The album continued Dylan's artistic comeback following 1997's Time Out of Mind and was given an even more enthusiastic reception. The title of the album was apparently inspired by historian Eric Lott's book Love & Theft: Blackface Minstrelsy and the American Working Class, which was published in 1993. "Love and Theft becomes his Fables of the Reconstruction, to borrow an R.E.M. album title", writes Greg Kot in the Chicago Tribune (published September 11, 2001), "the myths, mysteries and folklore of the South as a backdrop for one of the finest roots rock albums ever made".

The album won the Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Folk Album at the 44th Annual Grammy Awards. It was nominated for Album of the Year and the track "Honest with Me" was nominated for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance.

1. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
2. Mississippi
3. Summer Days
4. Bye and Bye
5. Lonesome Day Blues
6. Floater (Too Much to Ask)
7. High Water (For Charley Patton)
8. Moonlight
9. Honest with Me
10. Po' Boy
11. Cry a While
12. Sugar Baby

Here we go! Review No.21 - @RobMCFC gets it with his investigation work, very tough not to give away too much from the RS Top 100 list - Anyhow, Bob is Back! with 'Love And Theft' thus being recorded in NY although good shout that the picture has a 'Modern Times' feel.
I know this Album all too well as I was obsessively going through all the Dylan catalogue around the time of this release which meant i had a bit more time this week to listen to Fogs pick although it was good to revisit this again - 'Love And Theft' is a fantastic record, much more upbeat than his previous 'Time Out Of Mind' - Here we have plenty of Blues and different Musical styles paying homage to early Americana and it's Bob sounding at ease and joyful - lyrically as always and expected superb and backed by a wonderful band.
' Mississippi' is considered a masterpiece - and whilst I slightly disagree as I find the music and tempo a bit one paced - Lyrically he is at his peak and the way he expresses every single line it keeps you really engaged, for me that is the real power of Dylan throughout his career.

Got nothing for you, I had nothing before
Don't even have anything for myself anymore
Sky full of fire, came pouring down
Nothing you can sell me, I'll see you around

All my powers of expression and thoughts so sublime
Could never do you justice in reason or rhyme
Only one thing I did wrong
Stayed in Mississippi a day too long

Well, the devil's in the alley, mule's in the stall
Say anything you wanna, I have heard it all
I was thinking about the things that Rosie said
I was dreaming I was sleeping in Rosie's bed

Walking through the leaves, falling from the trees
Feeling like a stranger nobody sees
So many things that we never will undo
I know you're sorry, I'm sorry too

Some people will offer you their hand and some won't
Last night I knew you, tonight I don't
I need something strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind

Well I got here following the southern star
I crossed that river just to be where you are
Only one thing I did wrong

Stayed in Mississippi a day too long

'Lonesome Day Blues' is a wonderful Blues riff track, 'High Water' my favourite on here- love the banjo intro, the drums - Vintage stuff and Dylan at his snarling best.
I preferred this to 'Time Out Of Mind' and I find it comparable to 'Modern Times' in the sense it has a upbeat blues feel - Many will find Dylan's voice a struggle and at times strained albeit he is 60 on here and no spring chicken - but it is refreshing to hear a real authentic voice and he's clearly in a good place for this recording and if Bobs happy then so am I!

This placed number 11 out of the Top 100 Rolling Stone's 00's Albums

Have a good weekend Blues and please contribute with a score out of 10

7/10

Last edited:
Interesting. Like, Metallica, this is an album that I own although I haven't listened to it for a few years so it will be good to revisit it. "Mississippi" is an excellent song, and I was already aware of it before I bought this album because Sheryl Crow did a storming version on her album The Globe Sessions - bizarrely 3 years before it appeared on Dylan's own album.

How this Dylan album ranks in the best 1,000 or so albums on all time is beyond me (my views on the random number generator are known). However, I don't know far more Dylan albums than I do so I am happy enough to have been introduced to this one and I will add it to my collection.

Bob certainly is in upbeat mood on it and ranges across several musical styles from a Good Old Fashioned Loverboy music hallesque kind of effort to rollicking rockabilly.

In terms of originality, there's none in the music, which treads paths almost as well worn a Dylan's voice. I actually like Bob's vocals and his lyrics are rarely to be sniffed at. As BH mentions, his phrasing on Mississippi is wonderful.

His band are tight but relaxed throughout.

A pleasant listen but not one of the great albums so 6/10.

Interesting. Like, Metallica, this is an album that I own although I haven't listened to it for a few years so it will be good to revisit it. "Mississippi" is an excellent song, and I was already aware of it before I bought this album because Sheryl Crow did a storming version on her album The Globe Sessions - bizarrely 3 years before it appeared on Dylan's own album.

That's why I recognised the chorus. Sheryl's version is ace and whilst I prefer it and her voice, her delivery doesn't have the nuances that Bob's does.

Really sorry Dylan fans, but I could barely listen to this album. His voice at his peak grates with me, but on this album it's absolutely dreadful. I thought it was a joke at the start of the first track! But no, it carried on. No one who recorded this with him had the decency to tell him his voice is shot to pieces and really annoying. For me it's a typical Dylan album, clever and brilliantly written lyrics and decent music but let down by a guy who just can't sing.

I love Dylan's songs, but not when he sings them. Nearly every cover version of his songs are better than his, but I do appreciate he's a titan of 20th Century music. I feel really envious of those who love his music, but I just can't get into it.

I really don't know how to score this album. I actually liked the songs and the music. If he was in a pub singing like this on a Tuesday afternoon, the landlord would throw him out. His voice means it gets one play only for me, but I'd love to hear this album in the careful hands of someone who can sing. Imagine how much better this album would sound by getting Sinatra to sing it and Nelson Riddle doing the arrangement? Or even just sung by McCartney, Jagger... even Britney Spears! :)

This is the toughest album yet for me to score. It's Friday and I'm feeling slightly generous so it's a 3. Sorry Bob, it would be a 8 I think if you didn't sing it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.