Alvarez done deal - £82m to Atletico

A proper option? Bobb is playing at a far higher standard than Alvarez was when we bought him, same with Savio.

Alvarez was a decent back up to Haaland but stank the place out at 10. I don’t think we can get someone in that’s good enough to be Haaland’s back up, but is happy to get so few minutes if he remains fit. I’d much rather us revert to false 9 if he’s injured.

I’m actually very happy about this transfer for the above reasons and the opportunity it affords Bobb and Savio.

Plus focuses the club's and Haaland's minds on lomger term extensions etc.

And why have I got the feeling that people will convince themselves that this will be a good idea?

pre season mate, Oscar has been outstanding so naturally people want him to take the role but its huge pressure on him all season and champions league?

€75m+15m addons is a good deal the addons ain't 5m if they win the league 5m if they win champions league and 5m if Alvarez wins the Balon Dor because that ain't happening! Should be on goals scored by Alvarez and them finishing in champions league places only

I doubt the club have thought of that. Probably just looked at the number only!

pre season mate, Oscar has been outstanding so naturally people want him to take the role but its huge pressure on him all season and champions league?

No such pressure on a Felixor an Eze? It's less of a step up for him, than it would be for them imo.

In fairness, it's not all on Bobb - it would be spread out among Savio, KDB etc. We will need one of the players to develop poacher instincts, but we're quite balanced with creativity out wide, good pocket players, a monster 9 and players with great shooting from edge/outside of the box. We can hope for decent 2nd season for Doku (who terrifies defences already) and Grealish with something to prove. It may not end up being enough but it's all better than most ‍.

Last edited:

Oscar Bobb is a winger. He'll be competing with the likes of Savio, Doku and Grealish.

Alvarez is a backup to Erling. One injury and suddenly we're relying on wingers who have never hit double figures in their careers to smash in the goals for us. Or Kovacic to suddenly turn into Gundogan.

I get people being optimistic but it is not a good idea.

They are used to playing week in week out over a period of time though at this level?

Felixis not, he haabeen in and out of teams for years. At this level, no neither are. Eze, sure a regular in the league but would be a change coming into a pep team filled with top players. Bobb at least has the advantage of having worked with them and Pep, and shown he can take the chances he is given.

I'm not against replacing Alvarez. But certainly not with Felix, would much rather see Bobb get a shot. Feel similar with Eze but less strongly about it. And there is Savinho too remember.

Oscar Bobb is a winger. He'll be competing with the likes of Savio, Doku and Grealish.

Alvarez is a backup to Erling. One injury and suddenly we're relying on wingers who have never hit double figures in their careers to smash in the goals for us. Or Kovacic to suddenly turn into Gundogan.

I get people being optimistic but it is not a good idea.

In a Pep team, they are just lables.

So is Felix,by that logic,and so is Eze if we are going to get pedantic.

Alvarez played a very limited role in CL KO stage except one dead rubber game.

Only one particular feature we need to think about - Alvarez ability to pass/cross long from right hand side. Usually we have KDB to do it. But I wont expect KDB to play all the games next season. Neither Walker or Rico has a good cross. Since we never have a left back and Josko refuses to cross with his left foot we really cannot lose the crossing from right as well. I will look for a right back like Joshua Kimmich or TAA profile. Otherwise it might help to give our current right footed attacking players (Doku Grealish Kova) occasionally license to roam to put in a cross.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.