Alvarez done deal - £82m to Atletico

The season before Haaland we had Sterling, Gundogan and Mahrez.

We've now got Grealish, Kovacic and Doku.

The difference in quality in front of goal is a gaping chasm.

If Erling and Phil are available for the majority of the season then we'll most likely be fine but if anything happens to them then we're relying on people who haven't shown that they can do it.
Bobb?

Oscar Bobb is a winger. He'll be competing with the likes of Savio, Doku and Grealish.

Alvarez is a backup to Erling. One injury and suddenly we're relying on wingers who have never hit double figures in their careers to smash in the goals for us. Or Kovacic to suddenly turn into Gundogan.

I get people being optimistic but it is not a good idea.
Foden can also play false 9, as can KDB and Silva. We won’t get anyone of any quality that’s happy to only play when Haaland is injured. Alvarez spent most of last season getting in the way at 10, we have 4-5 better players than Alvarez to play there.

The guy wifed Danielle Lloyd after she had been spunked in and passed around by his spurs teammates, I wouldn't really trust his judgement on anything!
There's just no winning with some people. He offered her to the team to help with the team spirit and she got a raise from the boys in the dressing room, he showed dedication there. That's the stuff of a true captain

The season before Haaland we had Sterling, Gundogan and Mahrez.

We've now got Grealish, Kovacic and Doku.

The difference in quality in front of goal is a gaping chasm.

If Erling and Phil are available for the majority of the season then we'll most likely be fine but if anything happens to them then we're relying on people who haven't shown that they can do it.
Grealish, Savio, KDB, Bobb, Haaland, Silva, Foden, McAtee, Doku…

There’s a few goals in there tbf.

Who would you have we sign to play 6 league games a season?

I'd take someone of a similar standing to Alvarez.

Haaland and Foden have been spoken about. Kev is old and his body has been declining. Bernardo doesn't add a whole lot in front of goal. Bobb hasn't shown he can consistently do it. Nunes could barely get in the side and is an utterly unremarkable player. McAtee struggles to stay involved throughout ninety minutes.

I completely agree with this.

The problem I have is that saying "fuck it, we don't need a replacement" isn't dealing with it. It's ignoring an issue in the squad.
I think you misunderstand the role of a false 9, that role isn't designed to be the goal scorer it is a provider role.

So in essence what you need is not a Haaland replacement but a Sane/Sterling/Mahrez goal scoring winger who are running onto the through balls provided by the F9.

Rodri was an unremarkable player to many on this site after 1 season, now don't get me wrong I am no way comparing the two but he hasn't really had much of a chance.

As for this Bobb, he won't ever get to show anything consistently if he consistently doesn't get his chance, blatantly shown he has enough talent to mix it with our first team, if he doesn't get it this season then he will be leaving and we will have a Palmeresque situation, you know those folks that said he was shit and couldn't mix it in our team or show he had the talent consistently enough and fuck him he's a rag anyway, well, he would look around about now a handy addition to our team, let's not make that mistake again with Bobb.

Foden can also play false 9, as can KDB and Silva. We won’t get anyone of any quality that’s happy to only play when Haaland is injured. Alvarez spent most of last season getting in the way at 10, we have 4-5 better players than Alvarez to play there.

Maybe better overall but not better in front of goal and that's my one and only issue.

My concern is that we end up in a position where we have eleven players who are excellent in front of a defence and nobody to occupy the centre backs.

Aside from all the false 9 and Bobb/Savio stepping up chat, personally I’d be utterly astonished if we didn’t sign a decent standard player that is a midfielder or forward.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.