Alvarez done deal - £82m to Atletico

No, I am talking about players that take up the 21 allowed spaces. Senior players, not B list/youth.

Rico and Bobb are both players I think Pep would be happy to rely upon next season so perhaps skew the numbers slightly. I would be shocked if we weren't still looking at opportunities though. Akanji came from nowhere iirc and at a steal too, might be some desperation at the end of the window that helps us find a deal. I would imagine Pep is quite happy with attacking options in spite of Alvarez leaving. It feels like we need someone in the middle of the park more than anywhere else.

We have never started a season with that low a number. Not senior players.

We have had 21 and 20 out of 21. The year Mendy got removed we had 19, but we started with 20. That was the only time less than 20, and only till January.

In those seasons did we have players in a similar position to Rico and Oscar that didn't count? Rico played 1600 minutes last season, and Bobb (who is nearly 18 months older than Rico) played 800 and was probably our best player on the pre-season tour.

Add in that we've got even more flexibility in the defence, now that four of the CBs regularly play RB/LB, is it really an issue?

No, I am talking about players that take up the 21 allowed spaces. Senior players, not B list/youth.
the 4 club trained spaces - with Phil and Macca - are on the same level as 17 non-HG and 4 association trained.
That's 20.
Plus Rico and Bobb who are U21 but no kids anymore,
and O'Reilly.

Rico and Bobb are both players I think Pep would be happy to rely upon next season so perhaps skew the numbers slightly. I would be shocked if we weren't still looking at opportunities though. Akanji came from nowhere iirc and at a steal too, might be some desperation at the end of the window that helps us find a deal. I would imagine Pep is quite happy with attacking options in spite of Alvarez leaving. It feels like we need someone in the middle of the park more than anywhere else.

I agree, but we have always had players like that (foden at one point, palmer, eric garcia etc) that Pep relied on, but still went with 20 or 21 out of the 21 allowed.

All I am saying is that 18 senior players isn't a 'standard Pep' team. We have never done it before.

If we do this season, it will be a first, but I recon we will add one or two more. Not none.

Once Phillips and/or Cancelo leave.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.