Alvarez done deal - £82m to Atletico

Honestly, anything in the £70m-£80m range is a no-brainer sell for me.

Alvarez, we will all agree, is never going to displace Haaland, which is why he’s been tried deeper in an attempt to keep him happy. But he does not thrive there.

So big money for someone that will never play regularly in their best position and will only be used in positions they aren’t suited to? Automatic sell.

That money can be reinvested in a player that actually can thrive in either deeper or wider positions, whilst also covering Haaland when needed. And directly covering Haaland isn’t even a necessity. No reason we can’t play false 9 in those games with either the new signing or with someone else (Foden/Bernardo)
Musiala money that

Not too late if Alvarez isn’t going anywhere.
Yeah, I think too many assume a) that we will get anywhere near 80m quid (he is worth it, IMO, but do we really think anyone will pay up?) and b) envision us getting a world-class replacement. We are struggling to keep Alvarez happy, the same Alvarez whom we made big on the world-stage. We can forget about the likes of Isak etc. @JewelZee mentioned Delap, and that's about the level of a backup we could potentially keep happy as the 2nd fiddle to Haaland.

Basically, let's just keep Julian here.

Yeah, I think too many assume a) that we will get anywhere near 80m quid (he is worth it, IMO, but do we really think anyone will pay up?) and b) envision us getting a world-class replacement. We are struggling to keep Alvarez happy, the same Alvarez whom we made big on the world-stage. We can forget about the likes of Isak etc. @JewelZee mentioned Delap, and that's about the level of a backup we could potentially keep happy as the 2nd fiddle to Haaland.

If he's OK with staying and being an effective member of the squad then yes I agree there's no reason to seek selling him. If, on the other hand, he wants to go then I'd look to secure a fair price and say addios...

I think he'll leave if we get a decent offer he's a great player but he'll always be back up while erling is here or played out of position and he'd basically be the main man in 99% of other clubs . so for me you go take a chance on a younger player like the Turkish lad kilicsoy ( think that's how it's spelt) can play multiple positions good squad player

I'm really not. He just fits the profile of someone who wouldn't be banging down the door to be in the first team. If not him. someone like him. I only mentioned him because he was already here with us...
Still plenty in the current squad can cover Haaland

Absolutely zero chance we loan Alvarez out.

I can imagine we might loan with an obligation to buy if it means we get more money, or if it’s more useful for us to have £75m-ish deposited in the coffers next financial year (ie for a Musiala or Wirtz transfer)

Ultimately there’s very few clubs in the world who can pay what Alvarez is worth and most of them are sorted at striker so they might have to be flexible to get a result that everyone’s happy with.

I disagree, the problem with Alvarez is that he can’t really play any other position. He’s not good on the wing and he’s not our level as a #10 when we have so many world class options there.

On the other hand there’s a quite a few players these days who can play wing and striker to a very high level.

Right money he can go my only issue is we have a few old players or players likely to go next season & a few gaps appearing.

Looks like we are letting the team be stripped down for when a new manager comes in.

Issue being I don’t see a strong season next from us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.