American football

Brilliant game. The skill of the quarterback in throwing a ball 40 yards or so into the hands of someone making a run to catch it and having to anticipate where that receiver will be is one of the great sporting spectacles.
The receivers are told where to run. It's called a play. It's then a case of lobbing the ball into where he should be.

Great game live, carpark bbq's, beer, cheerleaders, just ruined by TV. And the game itself.

The best thing about it is the cheerleaders, Dallas Cowboys here...

th

High school and college are fun to watch.
NFL sucks ass.
So the game at the top level is crap compared to high school and college? I know about college scholarships etc and accept it can't be compared to school and college sports over here, but how can the top level be so bad?
Is it because it's manipulated by the TV companies? Is the lack of relegation more of a hindrance than a help?
Or is it that people expect more entertainment at the top and fail to grasp that it's easier to stop the opposition than it is to score. Ain't that right Jose?

So the game at the top level is crap compared to high school and college? I know about college scholarships etc and accept it can't be compared to school and college sports over here, but how can the top level be so bad?
Is it because it's manipulated by the TV companies? Is the lack of relegation more of a hindrance than a help?
Or is it that people expect more entertainment at the top and fail to grasp that it's easier to stop the opposition than it is to score. Ain't that right Jose?

Obviously the skill level is higher in the NFL. But for me the emotional aspect has slowly gone missing in the NFL over the last 20 years or so. Seems to be corporate packaged entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Going to a high school game or a college game - while the skill level is not nearly on the same level - just has more “honesty” to it. I’m sure that explanation won’t satisfy your questions but it’s just really hard to put into words.

And a minor complaint to me is how NFL teams just up and move to a new city. That just can’t happen in high school or college.

I used to be the biggest fan but now I can't stand it. My team (Steelers) is still plenty good but the game itself is just awful. They used to start games at 1:00 and 4:00 on Sundays but now the later games start at 4:25 sometimes so they can add another 25 minutes of commercials. It seems like most of the players are violent criminals and studies have shown that almost 100% of players suffer brain damage. Rule changes have made defense almost impossible to play and teams have all but abandoned the running game.

At the end of the day you've watched about two hours of commercials, seen about twelve minutes of actual action and no team ever really wins because they all have brain damage.

I can help answer this as well. So, we have reached this penultimate point in football, where essentially, if you don't have one of the top 4 quarterbacks in the league, their really isn't a point to showing up. Teams will go lifetimes looking for a competent quarterback just to have a starting point to build off of. On top of that, said quarterback can be having the season of a lifetime, and on sometime stupid QB keep play, he's out, rest of the year with a blown up knee. It's stupid, you get tired as a fan being provided hope, only to watch it ripped from you every season due to a violent game where no one can stay healthy an entire year. It just gets tiresome. Plus, as much as the NFL and people don't want to admit it, the recent information about concussions (more kids are not beginning to not play football in the past 20-30 years), the national anthem politics, the sterile marketing, all adds to lack of interest. Right or wrong, people are exhausted of politics showing up in sport, where it used to be the one place we could put differences aside and just enjoy sport together. People who are struggling to make ends meet and put their kids through college don't want to hear guys talk about suffering when they make $12 million a year. Again, I have no dog in this fight, but all these are contributions to why the NFL is continuing to lose viewers.

Isn't that the sport where a 1 hour game goes on for three hours plus? And where they call their champion side "world champions" even though there is no team from outside the yewwessovay playing in it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.