Andy Morrison - a timely reminder of the start of the climb

Gary James

Time for a reminder of the start of City's fightback in 1998.

On this day (31st Oct) in 98 Andy Morrison made his debut V Colchester. When I interviewed Joe Royle about this time in MCFC's history he commented: "His arrival was a seminal moment in the transformation of Manchester City.

"I knew of Andy and Les Chapman had heard that he was available. We got him for about £30 grand. He came in... scored on his debut. Wrote someone off in a tackle that turned out to be one of his best mates, and a cult hero was born. City love a cult hero and he was it."

I've posted more of the quote on my facebook account: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/photo.php?fbid=10151097356897816&set=a.10150562075652816.375742.289818652815&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/ph ... =1&theater</a> and my twitter: @garyjameswriter

Today's also the anniversary of Aage Hareide's full debut (1981).

I remember having a chat with him at platt lane complex when he first arrived, real sound bloke with no airs and graces (unlike some footballers) .

You would have to say that the signing of Andy Morrison was an important , inspirational , and timely signing for this club , at a vital time in our history .... yet he seemingly didn't figure in either of the two Christmas results that ultimately turned our fortunes around in the old third division ...... although he might well have been injured at the time

the 1-0 win at Wrexham on Boxing day 1998 ..... (Wiekens got the goal)

and the 2-1 home win over Stoke , two days later .... (Dickov/G.Taylor scored -- i seem to recall Danny Tiatto having a 'blinder' in this , even though , accordin' to stats , he was only down as sub)

..... these are the two results , which for me , REALLY set us on our way !

My username says all you need to know about my thoughts about Andy Morrison!

On the greatest footballing day of my life (13/05/2012 if in any doubt!), I bumped into "The Catalyst" outside the ground after the match. He was as ecstatic as any City fan and I let him know exactly what I thought his part in it all was. He was very humble about it but meeting him really was the icing on a very large cake!

P.S. If anyone has not read his book yet, I can strongly recommend it. Very disturbing in parts but a fascinating insight into the man.

All great teams have captains and leaders whose presence on the pitch galvanizes the team.
City lacked this for so long.

He's currently the assistant manager at Airbus UK Brougton---They are second in the welsh Premier league. He and Andy Preece did a great job at Northwich Vics before their finances went tits up.

Just coming to the end of his autobiography and the man had a troubled life in and out of football. I imagine most dont know one of his brothers went to jail for murder and not long after his baby brother died of an OD.

Funniest memory was at Preston when in a break in play he was near the knob end fan started singing "you fat bastard", until he lifted his shirt and the song faded away very quickly

Loved him as a player and even more when he was on the stage at city square when we won the league and every other word was 'we' deserve this and 'we' that, Cant imagine CT saying that in years to come.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.