Another Blue RIP - 1934 Stoke attendee

CtidBlueMooner

I'm sad to report following the terrible news of another Blue passing away separately on Sunday, we lost one more Blue too on the same day. My Dad, a 2nd generation Blue, passed away peacefully at the weekend at the age of 94, with me by his side. Originally from Gatley, he was at the 1934 Stoke game, before serving in the RAF in France towards the end of world War 2. He witnessed many of the successful times in the late 60's and early 70's. He brought me up right, from 14th Oct 1978 vs Coventry ( 2 Gary Owen goals) at home, as a Blue. As a teenager, I had a season ticket sitting alongside his Father aka my Granddad,until he passed at 92, as well as 3 brothers, with the surname Sciama. I'm glad Dad got to see the new Stadium too with a 5-0 mauling of TNS.

I'm indepted to Bluemoon for offering a platform to help put me in touch with a fellow Blue, when I put out an appeal recently. A generous fellow Supporter gave up his time and visited him in October in the Care Home, to talk all things City. Cheers Bavarian Blue - you'll never know how grateful I am for the act of kindness.
Thought I'd share one story:
During my time running the Manchester City Supporters Club in the North East, I became friends with the Grandson of a former City Captain. So when I randomly asked Dad a couple of years ago if he remembered a player called Eric Westwood, I was taken aback by his response. "It was 1947, and I'd recently been de-mobbed. I was on a late midweek train back from Birmingham having just seen City lose 4-1, and the playing squad were travelling back with the fans. Eric Westwood came into our carriage with a tray of sandwiches for the supporters and offered his profuse apologies for the defeat ! You couldn't make it up.

I'm just glad Dad got to see some of the greatest Football this Country's ever seen. Rest in peace Raymond.

I'm sad to report following the terrible news of another Blue passing away separately on Sunday, we lost one more Blue too on the same day. My Dad, a 2nd generation Blue, passed away peacefully at the weekend at the age of 94, with me by his side. Originally from Gatley, he was at the 1934 Stoke game, before serving in the RAF in France towards the end of world War 2. He witnessed many of the successful times in the late 60's and early 70's. He brought me up right, from 14th Oct 1978 vs Coventry ( 2 Gary Owen goals) at home, as a Blue. As a teenager, I had a season ticket sitting alongside his Father aka my Granddad,until he passed at 92, as well as 3 brothers, with the surname Sciama. I'm glad Dad got to see the new Stadium too with a 5-0 mauling of TNS.

I'm indepted to Bluemoon for offering a platform to help put me in touch with a fellow Blue, when I put out an appeal recently. A generous fellow Supporter gave up his time and visited him in October in the Care Home, to talk all things City. Cheers Bavarian Blue - you'll never know how grateful I am for the act of kindness.
Thought I'd share one story:
During my time running the Manchester City Supporters Club in the North East, I became friends with the Grandson of a former City Captain. So when I randomly asked Dad a couple of years ago if he remembered a player called Eric Westwood, I was taken aback by his response. "It was 1947, and I'd recently been de-mobbed. I was on a late midweek train back from Birmingham having just seen City lose 4-1, and the playing squad were travelling back with the fans. Eric Westwood came into our carriage with a tray of sandwiches for the supporters and offered his profuse apologies for the defeat ! You couldn't make it up.

I'm just glad Dad got to see some of the greatest Football this Country's ever seen. Rest in peace Raymond.
Great story and RIP to your Dad.

Really sorry to hear about your Dad. No conciliation I know, but it sounds as if he had a full and long life and watched City for 80 years which is remarkable. RIP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.