Any builders/roofers?

Last august we looked at a house and I wanted a garage building on it. I asked for the same as you. A large single garage, with plenty of room, electric doors with lighting, heating and an alarm. I was quoted £10k from 2 different builders. £20k seems very very steep.

Around eight years ago, I built a (large) single garage 24ft long out of artificial stone, with a concrete tiled apex roof, buying in the roofing joists, I did everything myself, (except making the timber doors),....... electrics, foundations, plastering and iirc it cost me 8k in materials.

If you have got enough height, get them to include a mezzanine wooden floor, with supporting joists built into the brickwork, about eight foot up, you can fit loads of sfuff/junk on the floor, below the roof.

just get them to build the garage, move in to that and forget the house - you'd have a huge garden and all very cheap...

skelpomike said:
Hi everyone. Currently in a negotiating battle with the seller of a brand new house about an as of yet unbuilt garage being included in the sale. Basically he wants another £20,000 on top of the price of the house to include a single garage. Its in a conservation area and for it to be in keeping with other buldings nearby, it will have a slate pitched roof, larch facing on some of the walls and have power (including remote controlled door). I imagined it would be a few thousand but struggling to believe it would be £20k! Am I being naive that it wouldn't be in this price range or am I in danger of paying over the odds? Thanks in advance for any replies.

contact the local planning office with your concerns about the planning permission . There will be a planning request so see how its progressing; depending on the area , cost of house , materials used , any other utilities involved not to mention the land survey . I worked on a similar dig out in Bowden years ago and we had to put 2 mtrs. of concrete in the footing as there was tree`s within 5 mtrs. The tree`s could not be cut down so as it was a conservation area extra costs were incurred .
Firstly, check the local office website ,if no joy .Call them and speak to Building Control they can be quite helpful .

Sounds like a builders price to me , bring the trades in mate and do it yourself , expect to pay for the permission though as part of the sale but if you can outlay for the work and put up with the work onsite you can save £6-8k depending on quality of build .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.