Any council housing department workers?

boywiththeblues

Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice....

At present I am a joint council tenant with my partner, I will be moving out in the near future as we are separating. I was wondering if I'm able to apply for another council house while still living together or will I have to wait till I officially move out?

I don't really have anywhere to go, and private letting would possibly be a little to expensive on my budget at the moment, what with starting again with furniture etc.

We have a daughter together so ideally i would prefer a two bedroom flat/house, but obviously id accept a one bed if offered for the time being.

There's not much info on the net about this, so if anyone has any info, id be grateful.

As you have a roof over your head you will get no help from the housing even though you are planning to split up. They will look at it as your relationship is still amicable as you are still both under the same roof.

Get yourself to Shelter in town tell them your relationship has gone to pot, there is no way back and you are homeless. Council flat within a fortnight...A friend did it and hasn't looked back.

If you're named on the tenancy agreement as a joint tenancy holder the first thing you need to do is get yourself off that because you won't be declared homeless if you're on an agreement and you cannot hold two social tenancies. You do this by signing a deed of assignment with the joint tenant. Be aware that if there are arrears on the account most providers would not agree to this until they are clear as legally you are both responsible and if you come off the tenancy only the person left would be who can then challenge that they are solely responsible for them.

If you're not on it you can walk away at any time but you need to go to Manchester Town Hall with proof you are homeless and you would be on maximum points which in effect puts you in the highest priority band. Shelter generally would liaise with MCC for you if you cant manage your own affairs and also find hostel accommodation if you were homeless. You also need to register with <a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestermove.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.manchestermove.co.uk</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.