Any electricians? advice needed...

tony coleman said:
Checked all the fuses 2x30amp 2x5amp 1x 15amp all read ok, although one of the 30amp fuses is a bit charred, the one that initially blew.

Still no power on two sockets in kitchen and three in living room, adjacent to kitchen. but, and this is puzzling me, when I plug a lamp into two of the sockets in the living room the bulb flickers slighter, if I plug the lamp into where the television and virgin box is, nothing !

After reading this again i think that part of the down stairs ring is broken. This is why only some of the sockets are working. The circuit is now effectively a radial. As for the flickering lamp on the light the broken part of the ring could be a loose neutral causing an arcing effect that causes the lamp to flicker. Anyway as said before a continuity test needs to be carried out. And get rid of them 3036 fuses!

If part of the ring was broken, the sockets would still work. Or at least only one would not work.

Duphrates...spot on with that post..I feel reading between the lines the fault will be a loose connection at one of the sockets...I also think there will have been a bit of alteration on the circuit at some point because as you have pointed out what should be with regards the ring main....as the fault seems to be in the conservatory and kitchen I will guess that either there has been a bit of bridging going on within the circuit or spurs being fed off spurs and this is why he has lost the supply to so many sockets...either way to ensure it complied would require some re-wiring

Duphrates said:
If part of the ring was broken, the sockets would still work. Or at least only one would not work.

Apologies this is me reading this wrong. I was assuming that the other sockets were working and just the odd ones in the kitchen and living room are not. To me i would have every socket front off to check for burn marks. But first you may have a fire risk here. Pull the fuse on this circuit until this is checked properly.

Good point that re: spur off a spur off a spur ad infinitum. Could well be that.

Actually OP - is there a fused spur somewhere which could be feeding a few sockets?

There'll be a neutral happily fizzing away behind one or more of your sockets. Sometimes with a house, it can be wired in any number of ways so finding the fault isn't always easy as you have work out how the last idiot wired it.

Best advice I could give is get a spark in sooner rather than later. I'm strictly industrial nowadays otherwise I'd offer my services. I'm very expensive too!

PistonBlue said:
There'll be a neutral happily fizzing away behind one or more of your sockets. Sometimes with a house, it can be wired in any number of ways so finding the fault isn't always easy as you have work out how the last idiot wired it.

Best advice I could give is get a spark in sooner rather than later. I'm strictly industrial nowadays otherwise I'd offer my services. I'm very expensive too!
I thought about a neutral fault but why would this blow the fuse so rules it out

big blueballs said:
PistonBlue said:

I thought about a neutral fault but why would this blow the fuse so rules it out

Doesn't need to be a fault. A loose connection can break the ring, especially on the outgoing leg of the ring. The theory of a spur feeding sockets is a good point. A blown fuse in a spur could be something to look at. Anyway without seeing the installation we could be hear all night trying to suss this out!

Shaw86 said:
big blueballs said:
PistonBlue said:

Doesn't need to be a fault. A loose connection can break the ring, especially on the outgoing leg of the ring. The theory of a spur feeding sockets is a good point. A blown fuse in a spur could be something to look at. Anyway without seeing the installation we could be hear all night trying to suss this out!
The OPs problems started when the fuse blew at his DB for the sockets, a neutral fault would not blow the fuse so thus rules it out the fault is on the live side and will more than likely be loose connection on this side of the circuit...the OP has not been back for a while so has probably sorted it but like you say without seeing the installation we are just guessing

tony coleman said:
Some of the plug sockets at home just just stopped working....living room and kitchen. Any ideas as to why? ....... the 30 amp fuse blew a few nights earlier, my fault, which I replaced. Could this be a possible cause? any help appreciated. Thanks.
Its a tricky one without actually seeing it, testing it etc etc.
I would like to know what the op did to blow the fuse a few nights earlier, all we are told is it was his fault.
seems a bit to coincidental for a 30amp fuse to go, then the sockets develop a mystery fault?? or is it just me??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.