Anybody any ideas about art? Another 5 paintings added

Re: Anybody any ideas about art? Advice please

toby said:
What online outlets has he tried ?

None that I know of pal, this has literally just come about with regards to the gallery, so I'm trying to do a bit of research about the industry, hence posting on BM as you can normally find an answer for most things on here!!!! His painting has always been a hobby, not a profession. However, as a gallery has taken some of them, I'm hoping he can make a few quid from doing something he enjoys instead of doing a 9-5 job he hates like the rest of us have to.

He's more of a musician/producer than an artist, so neither of us have much of an idea of how to go about marketing his work.

Don't suppose you know of any decent reputable online outlets? Or have any other ideas/suggestions about how to market his work? Or any suggestions on how to best price work? I've obviously had a look online, but I have no idea what the difference between a £60 abstract piece and a £6,000 abstract piece. Is it purely down to who the artist is, as in how well known they are or who has already bought their work? Or is it all smoke & mirrors bullshit & marketing that determines the price?

Cheers in advance for any help you (or anyone else) can offer.

blue mash up said:
Art is only worth what someone is willing to pay ie some dicks pay millions for a cow chopped in half and pickled but other beautiful ultra real pencil drawings are only worth forty quid.

Ha ha, nice one pal, great appraisal. I totally understand your point, but I'm trying to understand what actually determines price. As in how much should he advertise them for? If he advertises them for a higher price does this make them more desirable & valuable?......or would this mean he would have less chance to sell them?

Any idea how the industry works cos I've got none?

Anybody any ideas about art? Advice please

I know very little but if he calls them limited edition I am guessing this may make them more desirable to prospective buyers,good luck some of them are interesting and no doubt would raise money.

Facebook can be a good tool to sell things and it's free he can set up his own page . A lot of my students sell their jewellery and art/crafts stuff on there and Etsy. Etsy do charge though but one of my student does sell a lot to America .

Maly Wilson said:
blue mash up said:
Art is only worth what someone is willing to pay ie some dicks pay millions for a cow chopped in half and pickled but other beautiful ultra real pencil drawings are only worth forty quid.

Ha ha, nice one pal, great appraisal. I totally understand your point, but I'm trying to understand what actually determines price. As in how much should he advertise them for? If he advertises them for a higher price does this make them more desirable & valuable?......or would this mean he would have less chance to sell them?

Any idea how the industry works cos I've got none?

Yep spot on there mate. No real actual difference in most cases between a piece of art at £6 or £6,000. The difference is who created it, is that person a name, if they are, people may buy it as an investment... in 50 years time will that painter have become famous/died and now the painting is worth £6 million.

That is essentially how and why people cut cows in half and stick them in a gallery, it's never been done before therefore creates publicity, the artist becomes famous and commands much higher prices (ok, I've really simplified all that, and I'm sure Damien Hurst will have us believe it's not about the money and more about expression).

Look at Van Gough, by all accounts swapped most of his work for wine at the local café. Suffered from depression and died before he was 40 unknown.

I don't work in the fine art world, I do however work in the Creative/Design industry. One way your son could look to sell his paintings would be to join one of the many on-line stock sites or illustrator contact lists. Design agencies will look on here for a specific style of illustration to match a brief they may have for a client. Once they find the right person they will, in most cases, contact that individual and commission a piece of work. This does mean that it's not really art any more and becomes a commercially commissioned illustration (it may appear in an ad campaign, a brochure, menu etc)

Search google for 'contact-creative' - loads of sites there to have a look at.

Hope I've helped in some way

I'd suggest doing a market event now i'm not talking Walford market here i'm suggesting a slick home/art show, one was recently run in Ancoats in the Halle building it was full of contemporary pieces and all the current cool kids were selling stuff. Get everything photographed and on etsy or something then create a word of mouth buzz in the city/village.town where you live ala Stan Chow in Manchester.

toby said:
Facebook can be a good tool to sell things and it's free he can set up his own page . A lot of my students sell their jewellery and art/crafts stuff on there and Etsy. Etsy do charge though but one of my student does sell a lot to America .

Cheers, I'll let him know.

toby said:
I have just looked at the others I like them I could see them on an album cover .

It's funny you should mention that, as that's where the idea of him painting canvases came from. He's just finished a Music Technology degree at Uni, so he had initially thought about using his paintings for his own album covers. Cheers again for another good idea, I'll happily take anymore you have.

Thanks again.

blue mash up said:
I'd suggest doing a market event now i'm not talking Walford market here i'm suggesting a slick home/art show, one was recently run in Ancoats in the Halle building it was full of contemporary pieces and all the current cool kids were selling stuff. Get everything photographed and on etsy or something then create a word of mouth buzz in the city/village.town where you live ala Stan Chow in Manchester.

It's a small world. I saw the name Stan Chow & immediately thought......nah, can't be Stanley Cow (from Marple originally) & it is. I went school with him, so cheers for that, he could be a great help.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.