Applauding the opposition goalkeeper

M Gaudino

Team supported
Manchester City
I used to sit in the North Stand in the early 90s.

every game unless it was some dickhead or United the away goalie would run towards his goal to start the game in front the stand, applaud the crowd and get the full stand applauding him back.

if it was an england keeper (say Nigel Martyn) it would be twice as enthusiastic.

appreciate that every player was british back then but wtf happened? when did football become a cesspit of blind hatred and does anyone remember when it stopped

I used to sit in the North Stand in the early 90s.

every game unless it was some dickhead or United the away goalie would run towards his goal to start the game in front the stand, applaud the crowd and get the full stand applauding him back.

if it was an england keeper (say Nigel Martyn) it would be twice as enthusiastic.

appreciate that every player was british back then but wtf happened? when did football become a cesspit of blind hatred and does anyone remember when it stopped

Two words.

Social

Media

nah it was way before that. dies out early into the premier league era im sure. could have been foreign players dont know

I can't remember a time when the crowd weren't cunts, social media has made it more spiteful. Back in the day they used to throw bottles lighters and coins at goalies.

What an odd thread. Football used to be a “cesspit of blind hatred” when it was fun to go to games, nowadays it’s like a vicar’s tea party.

Grounds full of tourists and JCLs are more likely to be taking selfies with the opposition keeper in the background than abusing him. Where’s the hatred.

Remember in 1972 ,at home to Stoke the North Stand roaring "we all fucking hate Stoke"as Banks approached we all applauded him and sang his name. He had a worldy we lost 2-1 and it cost us the title.
At this time the muppets on the Stretford End would applauded the away goaly as he approached then changed to abuse as he acknowledged then. Simple twats.

I remember being in Platt Lane, City were playing spurs and Pat Jennings was in goals for them. He received a very warm round of appreciation. He was well liked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.