Applying for jobs

I work in recruitment - you probably can get away with it considering it’s not a habit.

Hiring Managers do say no when there’s several cases of job hopping but not normally for just one.

Go for it, you’ve got nothing to lose by interviewing if they like your profile.

You'll be fine. I left a place last year for a job in IT. I'd been studying IT for years and thought I'd finally landed my dream job. Hated it. Not so much the job, but the place. Left after 6 weeks. Saw a vacancy for another IT job (I'd already been unsuccessful at an interview there years earlier when I had no qualifications), applied, and got an interview. Explained that I had devoted years to study to get on the first rung, but felt that the Company I'd recently left wasn't the right fit for me and was dispapointed with the whole experience. I was looking to work at a place that valued me and my development and that I had admired this Company's ethos and employee-centric culture from afar since my interview years ago. None of it was a lie. Got the job. Got a promotion 10 months later.

Just be honest about why you want to work for that company and do that role. You've got nothing to lose.

Yeah, the hiring process is actually quite expensive for a lot of companies once you go through everything up to the end of probation, so no employer wants to be investing a lot in a new member of staff to have them fuck off in short time.
Once is ok, but if someone is making a habit of it then it's definitely a black mark against them.
That nails it.

No, if it’s what you really want to do - apply. If you don’t get it stay where you are.

If you’re happy and content in a job then you wouldn’t be looking for something new. If you’ve got the option to go somewhere you’ll be learning and gaining experience that will benefit your CV for whatever the long term plan is then it’s an absolute no brainer.

I’ve changed jobs three times in two years because the companies I went to weren’t living up to expectations and weren't progressing or progressing me as quickly as I would have liked. It’s been helped by a near £20k pay increase over those two years but that’s partially because I’ve put the effort in and got additional qualifications that people are desperate and willing to pay for.

If you think it best for you go for it .Explain that the new job suits your needs better

i'd say, if you are going to leave, so long as you leave on a good note with a notice period & don't burn any bridges etc you will be alright.

Take it from someone who has burned too many bridges to count them ;)

I started a new role 4 months ago, it’s a good job I like the company the money is decent and the people are nice. However..., I’ve seen something else advertised which is what I want to do and has better prospects. Would applying for a job after 4 months in my new one look bad to a new employer?

The job you are currently in, did you think this offered better prospects?
Is this new role within the same organisation?
You say this other job has better prospects - how do you know?
Are there no prospects for the current role? again, how do you know
What if the role you are considering does have better prospects, you may be working with complete arseholes which, believe me, will erode any perceived monetary benefits. There is an old saying that people leave roles because of others, not because of Ts & Cs, there is considerable truth in that.

The grass is not always greener and my advice would be to stay put because you say your current role is a good job, the people are decent and the pay is OK

Just thoughts from someone about to hand up his suit for the last time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.