Are City the only club to have received ‘controversial’ finance?

So it’s not just us allegedly financed indirectly by countries with dodgy human rights records?

We’ve got Liverpool currently financed indirectly by Malaysia, listed on most indexes as being below the UAE in terms of human rights. Yet the media didn’t breathe a word of this when their documentary came out.

We’ve got United currently financed indirectly via Vladimir Putin, one of many immoral characters to have financed the club throughout their infamous history.

And Arsenal, currently financed indirectly by Dubai and Rwanda, the latter being one of the worst human rights abusers in the world.

Strange that we’re singled out as recipients of controversial money when they’ve been doing it for a lot longer than us. So much for no agenda.

There's been some idiotic, poorly-researched articles singling City out since the doc was released so I was just wondering whether we're the only club to have received morally controversial money seen as though it's never mentioned in relation to other clubs? That's if you put the law to one side and accept the premise that Sheikh Mansour is a shill and the entity that owns the majority shareholding is, ultimately, the sovereign wealth fund of Abu Dhabi.
Yes. All the fans of the other teams I have spoken to have assured me their income was all legit, and only ours is dodgy. What reason do I have to doubt them?

In fact, we became the first ever club to have morally questionable funding back when Thaksin was in charge, which is the precise reason that ADUG were so keen to take us over in the first place. My United supporting mate tells me that Jamie Paradise told him that, and Jamie's the most reliable author there is.

I can't say the double standards of supporters of other teams bother me that much. We live in a globalised world where their 'I'm disgusted' points of view are sent from Chinese made mobile phones or some other device where the components come from countries where child labour is rife or human rights are not an issue.

It's everything you buy and use these days.

Let them chew on that before they get on their moral high horse.

Some people think the initial investment from ADUG was immoral because they believe it comes from Abu Dhabi, some people (myself included) don’t, whether or not it came from Abu Dhabi swf. Maybe controversial would have been a better term.
The point of course is that presumably someone bought the oil to sell to us all. I admit to putting petrol of questionable origin into my car so add that to the list.

On the subject of Liverpool, don't forget that their success funded by the Moores family, came from money gambled by people most likely unable to afford it, in the hopes of winning a fortune.

EDIT: Not forgetting all those clubs, too numerous to mention, whose shirt sponsors are gambling companies.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.