Are non English players treated differently by The FA/refs?

Re: Is the FA xenophobic...?

snowblue said:
Great post
One other point back during the Fa cup final Balotalli got elbowed of the ball By Richard Huth I think and yet the FA did nothing about it but because Balotelli has a reputation as a bad boy he is charged straight away. As for apealing no apeals ever succeed with the FA.
The media witch hunt by Craig Burley, Gary Neville and especially Redknapp didn't help.
City didn't make a fuss about the Huth elbow and in the cup game when Evra elbowed Micah, there was not one replay shown of it or any mention made. Had that been Micah elbowing Giggs it would have been shown over and over from all angles and in slow motion with the commentators and Fergie banging on and on about it.

wasn't it mentioned in the vinny thread the other week that a Guardian journalist had said on talksport that the FA had expressed that refs should be more lenient toward members of capello's possible 2012 squad members with regards to bookings and cards. At the time it sounded bollocks but after the johnson, lampard, gerrard and now lescott & crouch incident doesn't so much.

Of course.

I don't believe in any hidden agenda, BUT fact of the matter is time and and time again English players get away with a lot.

In Rooney's case, they even send delegations including Capello to argue and appeal his ban for violent conduct.

Mr Rich said:
Speaking purely in football terms here I ask the question.

It seems in recent weeks Manchester City Football Club especially its manager and players have come in for some tough treatment at the hands of the FA, with Kompany, Balotelli and wide spread criticisim for Mancini and the imaginary card waving incidents. Obviously many will argue it is an agenda against the club, the press are in on it, the refs etc. but what if it isn't what if purely the fact that the players and manager involved are not English/British?I'll use the three examples of Kompany; Mancini; and of course Balotelli, but they all interlink:-

Firstly Kompany's tackle. Debatable, some will argue dangerous, others a good strong tackle. Foy sent him off and the FA could do very little to overturn the challenge due to its law breaking stance of two feet off the ground. OK fair enough. But then Glen Johnson (an Englisman, by some conincidence) comes in with a similar, arguably worse challenge on Jolean Lescott and the ref waves play on. Now I ask if this player was say Vincent Kompany would he have seen red? Quite possibly, because as we already know from the mouth of our favourite salt of the earth Scot "He's got previous"

Bringing me to my next point, why is it that imaginery card waving is condemned nationally across the media and the FA, but saying derogatory remarks about players or say shouting in the referee's ear to get a player sent-off, and consistantly surrounding the man in black is not even seemingly a reproachful offence? Not that any balding Englishman can be seen doing that every week on the pitch, therefore it becomes acceptable behaviour by everybody. Furthermore when certain managers make post-match comments about events on the pitch whereby a man has committed a challenge in today's society is considered to be dangerous, he is seemingly unheard. All the while being abused by a scouser, who by all accounts is not unknown to attack people with more than just words off the pitch, who seems to gain a great deal of positve press from such abuse. Yet another manager, whom we know to be a completely upstanding member of society, probably completing his taxes long before Moira Stewart comes on the radio, words are immediately taken as gospel truth and have the press and the FA scratching their notepads with the red pen on a particular number 45. Again could it be because one set of people in this story are Italians, who the some seemingly believe spend thier days off doing the plumbing and chasing tortoises, and the others are proud Englishmen?

And finally we come to the Mario Balotelli incident. Now for this I have to say there is little doubt in my eyes that seemingly Mr Mario extented his leg in a unusual kicking motion for falling over, however, and this is the key, even with the video it can hardly be proved that he wasn't just trying to regain his balance, as at the time he had a player leaning on his back. It certainly was not, as our honest friend, who is seemingly as popular as the Pope considering he spent the day behind bullet proof glass, would have you believe a deliberate stamp on somebody's, who again, shockingly, is a floppy haired English darling, head. If such roles were reversed I ask myself, would such media attention have been focused on such a trivial tumble by our little-legged Hugh Grant? Doubtful. Even more doubtful if said person, was a rather well stocked scouser, whom ever level headed temprement would not see him accidently tumble onto somebody's head, no, much more likely to have a clear memory lapse on what a ball looked like and mistake a person for it. If such a travesty of justice as this saint was to have a red card brandished at him, the FA would seek to condone said action, more than likely under the pretence that "He was one of those bloody foreign chaps, more than likely dived into our Wayne's foot in an attempt to kiss it. It wouldn't happen in England". And it seems as though Lescott, who Graeme 'One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest' Souness noted also deserved a red card in the match just as much as Balotelli, did not recieve any punishment, could it be because he plays for England? Not that I am advocating that he recieves a suspension either, will just make the point that if the people involved in the two incidents yesterday were reversed would we be talking about Balotelli being banned for an elbow? Sadly I think we would.

Now I have got all that off my chest I can say it is actually Howard Webb that has admitted Balotelli would have been sent off if he had seen the incident, not the FA. This is why I ask the question, this post has given an answer, but it may be incorrect if Manchester City Football Club decide to appeal, and the Football Association decide to prove me wrong by overturning the ban. Somewhat doubtful I fear.

Good post mate, agree with what you saying.............

Hollywood Blue said:
snowblue said:
Great post
One other point back during the Fa cup final Balotalli got elbowed of the ball By Richard Huth I think and yet the FA did nothing about it but because Balotelli has a reputation as a bad boy he is charged straight away. As for apealing no apeals ever succeed with the FA.
The media witch hunt by Craig Burley, Gary Neville and especially Redknapp didn't help.
City didn't make a fuss about the Huth elbow and in the cup game when Evra elbowed Micah, there was not one replay shown of it or any mention made. Had that been Micah elbowing Giggs it would have been shown over and over from all angles and in slow motion with the commentators and Fergie banging on and on about it.

That is true but you saw what was the reaction when Mancini stood up and asked, showed, tried to maintain why Skrtel, Figueroa, Johnson didnt get a red card.

Everyone in the media blamed Mancini how disrespectful he is etc.

Media has an agenda against us much more than maybe FA has also. United, Liverpool, Arsenal fans these are the ones dictate the tempo at newspapers. They want us to fail.

PL title would be so much sweeter for this reason.

Agree with most of that because I do feel they have that kind of attitude, but, I have to confess, on the day, there was a 'freeze-frame' of the incident with Webb in the background, in it it did appear to show he (Webb) was not looking directly at the incident but was looking a split second later at the aftermath, as a result of that I thought this 'I didn't see it ' line was going to be used and it did have some legs.
Having said that, my Mrs (who only saw the incident last night) doesn't think there was anything in it given all the circumstances (as you've explained above), and she supports the rags, I'll happily accept her take on it over most peoples.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16700503.stm

Thought this article was another interesting input on the debate. Why it seems Ferdinand has to shake hands with somebody, whom he clearly believes has made a racist remark is beyond me, and the FA like Blatter should not be encouraging such behaviour. Why if a person believes that they have been racially abused should they shake the hand of that man. Because he is the England captain? Wayne Bridge was celebrated for not shaking this disgraceful man's hand, I will celebrate Anton Ferdinand for doing so too. Obviously it may be found that Terry is not guilty, therefore retrospectively it would seem petty, but it will be a couragous act if JT is guilty, despite, it seems, the FA's insistance to consistantly back cowards...but only if they are English of course.

{On a side note I'm not best pleased with my thread being merged into this one}

Wouldn't be surprised if the FA randomly throw in a few more charges against Mario. How about GBH, ABH, assault or maybe even attempted murder? Throw enough muck and some of it will stick...

dctid said:
Plain Speaking said:
The FA and referees seems to treat non English players more severely than "English players".

The likes of Rooney, Gerrard and Johnson seem to get away with assaults, with
The FA even appealing a blatant kick by Rooney to reduce his ban. In contrast severe treatment for the likes of Kompany and Balo.

Personally I believe it has "some bearing" even if it is only on a sub-conscious level.

I wonder if any high profile personality would be brave enough to raise the issue. Are there any statistics available?

Seldom agree with Collymore but to be fair he does have decent point s but 100% agree with what he said today how high profile English players are treated differently for example

1. Vinny straight red
2. Rooney no action for a forearm smash - apparantly it was ok ref saw nothing wring with it
3. Johnson horror tackle in the CC - gues what ref saw it and though it was ok
4. lampards yellow for a clear yellow

These were ALL worse than Ballos but guess what the ref said they did not see it although the ref was closer to Ballo thna any of the other examples

fookin joke

Re-arrange this well-known phrase or saying: Arses refs cover will own their.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.