Are "Real Fans" the problem?

tueartsboots

London Blue link. Wythenshawe born and bred. Blueb
A Day In The Life

Are 'Real Fans' the problem with football?
When I was a lad, all those dark dreary years ago, if you supported a team you went to see them every alternate Saturday. Yes younger readers, Saturday. At 3pm. No deviation. There was of course the odd mid week fixture, especially for those few teams in Europe, but generally 3pm on a Saturday was where you got your football fix. Now because people actually attended games in those days it made sense for them to go and see their local team. For some it was Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Spurs, or one of the other 'big clubs' that contested for the trophies on offer. For most of us though it was about hoping, praying, that one day your team would be up there with the greats, giving you the chance for a street party or a visit to Wembley.
The sanctity and secrecy of even knowing what game would have its 2nd half broadcast on the radio was something that made amateur detectives of us all as we tried to pick up tips from something the announcer would say, or the song you thought you could hear the crowd singing. So even if you hadn't managed to make it to the match you still felt a part of it.
Begging your parents to stay up late to watch the highlights on Match of the Day, and the anticipation of finding out who would be the main highlighted match on The Big Match or its local equivalent, was something those now used to live matches every day and highlights programmes on continuously on Sky wouldn't understand.
So, to get back on track, we either had football supporters (those that attended at least a few matches a season) or non football supporters (those that had no interest).
Now, as far as I can tell, we have;
Real Fans;
These are supporters of a club who will sacrifice anything in their pursuit of following their team. Family birthdays are missed, anniversaries forgotten (unless it's of something like 'when we won the FA Cup') and weddings that aren't planned with the aid of a seasons fixture list are shunned even if they are their own.
They will happily sit in a cattle truck for a 10 hour round trip to some God forsaken football ground for a meaningless friendly but would moan like anything if the wife asks for a lift to her anti natal class.
While working out the family budget from their wages, trifling matters like food and heating would come a distant 2nd to making sure they can afford to go to the match and have enough for a few beers.
Someone they nod at while at a match will take on the role of best mate while those friends that they have in the real life have long ago stopped bothering to ask them to go out in case it clashed with 'the 3rd round draw' or some other significant occasion.
Clubs will increase their ticket prices at will and they will begrudgingly continue to pay, while bleating about the rise in fuel, beer and anything else and try to find cheaper options.
These people are the heartbeat of a club. They know it, the clubs know it. But watch what happens when a day out at Wembley comes along. The loyal fan is forgotten while those who are lucky enough to have a cleaner who has a brother who works for the gardener of an employee at one of the clubs sponsors is given a ticket. Free.
Supporters;
Generally these people will support either their nearest club or one that has some significance to them that is still just a bus ride away. They were taken along to matches by their Fathers or elder brothers and loved the feeling of being part of a larger being. They followed their team through thick and thin, generally thin unless they were lucky enough to support a team that won things.
When they had their own money and Independence they continued to go to matches, albeit it with their own friends rather than their family member.
When the calling of pubs, clubs and girls came along, they wrestled with trying to still be a full time supporter while living a life away from the game.
As they got serious with girls they started to find the lure of Saturday shopping and the unspoken promise of the 'reward' that would surely follow would compete with their ritual of football. Even jibes from their football going mates would be met with a 'I can't. I promised'.
Eventually attending a football game would become a treat rather than the ritual it once was. Results were still looked for in the newspaper but more and more it would be a guilty pleasure.
If there was a 'big game' they would go along but once marriage and children came along then there really were better ways to spend his money. And anyway, how could he attend when he was trying to get a bit of overtime on a Saturday to help with the household budget?
As the children got older they started to talk in the playground about the teams they followed and on 'The Supporter' hearing this they decided that now was the time to follow what had become the most ancient of rituals. Followed down through the generations. Taking the son to his first match. Every man remembers it, every child will talk of it. (Mine was Chelsea v Crystal Palace, I took my son to Ipswich away, first Home game v Peterborough in FA Cup)
As the boy gets older and money becomes a bit more forthcoming, each birthday is celebrated with the announcement of a precious match ticket. Gradually the pattern continues and both Father and Son start attending a few more matches as finances allow.
But as quickly as it re-started it can stop. A run of bad results (although only if the team looks like it's not bothered) the ticket prices rising too high, or getting fed up that you must have a membership that allows you to buy a season ticket that allows you to give the club your money despite not knowing if the team you follow will be stripped of its best players and be hoping for mid table survival.
You may not be able to change your team like you would change your supermarket, but that doesn't mean you have to continue to reward them for a bad service.
The Plastic Fan;
These fans can usually heard at their most vociferous on radio phone ins and ranting on mediums such as Twitter (or Blogs?).
They usually support Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, or more recently, Chelsea. As a young person generally finds out if they are straight, gay, or just confused, at about 11 or 12, this is also the optimum time for boys (and increasingly girls) to decide what team they will support. Notice I use the word 'support' rather than 'follow' because to follow something means to actually go to games.
Hear a call in voice speaking in an Essex accent that is commenting on how well Man U or Liverpool are doing and most will be able to age him (or worse, her). If Liverpool then they were 10/11 in the mid 70's making them late 40's early 50's, and Man U anything from 20 - 40. Obviously its harder to pick up on Arsenal and Chelsea as they are less vocal at the moment (although a lot of the Arsene out brigade seem to be calling from home too soon after an Arsenal game has finished.)
The annoying thing about these fans are that it is usually impossible to have an actual discussion with them as they are of the 'We're great, you're shit' type level of discussion and would never agree that a player of another team is any good. Real football enthusiasts will be able to tell you the greats from other sides and you can have decent banter with them.
The Plastic fans are also the main activists in any 'action' that supporters want to get a voice heard in. Whether its 'Hodgeson out'. 'Arsene out' 'Glaziers out' 'Benitez out' its generally those that don't attend matches that shout the loudest. That's not to say other fans don't feel that way but they generally make their feelings known at actual matches rather than on 5 Live or Talk Sport.
They are also the ones that talk of the opposition supporters as Scum. Surely you can only make statements like 'We own Manchester' or 'Manchester is Red' if you live there? Can someone living in Basingstoke consider Everton their rivals? Local Derbies were called that for a reason. They came about as you didn't want to lose to people you would see at work or in the pub the next day.
These people are also the sort that you will see walking round Tescos in their teams shirts ( Twitter account Full-Kit Wankers @WankersFullKit has to be one of the funniest ever) often while their team is playing live on TV!
But teams know these fans are fickle and make sure they don't alienate them.
Tourists;
With success comes 'The Tourist Fan'. Indeed, in front of me in the Shed we have a little guessing game what nationality they will be each week. See the Tower of London, The Houses of Parliament, watch Chelsea play and boo Benitez.
I'm sure at Old Trafford, Anfield, The Emirates, and now The Etihad people are sick of seeing cameras, I-Pads, and I-Phones obstructing their view as a corner or free kick is being taken.
But as more and more of these people take up seats, the question that should be asked is 'why are there seats there for them?'
These seats are free because more and more people are falling into category 'Supporter'. Those that will pick and choose games, only going to those that they want to.
I am one of many that has a Season Ticket but sells off those games that I don't want to go to. I am the sort of fan the club hates. I can take or leave if I go to games or not. I love it when we win, but am over a loss by the time I've walked back to my car.

And this leads me to why I have called this blog 'Are 'Real Fans' the problem with football?'
In any business, and I have had many, the company relies on their customers. Most of us realise that that is exactly what we are for our clubs, customers. However the breed 'Real Fans' don't see this. They look at each obstacle placed in front of them (rising ticket prices, lack of tickets, lack of respect shown by clubs and players) as a challenge they can boast about beating. While away ends are filled with the 'loyal supporter', why would teams reduce ticket prices? Initially the likes of Man United and Liverpool, even Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spurs, might make up these sales with extra home support, but as more and more clubs are having to adopt a 'walk up and pay' policy for a lot of games then the idea of the away support boycotting will make them start to worry. As long as everyone stuck to the plan. Imagine how a team like QPR or Reading would react if they had quarter of their ground empty. Rangers were almost a 100% successful when they refused to buy tickets against Dundee. Dundee even got onto the SFA to try and force them to buy tickets. Despite a few breaking ranks and going to the game, Rangers fans hit them where it hurts, in the pocket. And Sky wont be impressed if games have no atmosphere due to there being no away support.
Rather than be the backbone of our game I think the 'through wind and rain' supporters are actually enabling the clubs to continue to rip us off and treat us badly. Only when they decide that enough is enough will clubs be forced to change.

Don't forget to read my book The 3 Card Trick at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B00ACJHKN4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B00ACJHKN4</a>
Posted 2 days ago by David Clark

0 Add a comment

DEC
I am gradually realising that I am not only becoming disenfranchised from the football club I have supported as a boy, but from the majority of other supporters as well. I can no longer bear to hear the 'it's our club' type of supporters that think because they go to games they should have some say in how the club is run. I have shopped at Tesco for well over 20 years but I still have no right to say how they run things and who they should choose to employ. And for all the 'real fans' harping on about how good it was in the old days, was it? was it really? I can remember standing ankle deep in piss as I waited to use the urinal and watching as those unwilling or unable to wait used the sinks to relieve themselves in instead. Our journeys to and from games resembled what I have seen on TV of the forced marches carried out by the Nazis and Japanese during the war. If we had been animals transported in those conditions we would of had the backing of the RSPCA, PETA, and any other well meaning organisation that acted to prevent unnecessary cruelty.
We were herded into open terraces after being made to parade in front of 'civilians' who gazed on in both shock and horror at the sights before them. Granted there was less stewarding than today but the harsh treatment meeted out by the police made the 'sit down please' of today's security seem like the polite request to conform that it is. And anyway, why should grown men be able to stand and block the views of those that have also paid for their tickets, just because they deem themselves 'proper' and think of it as their right?
The clubs are not and have never been owned by the fans. Yes, we go to the matches and provide the atmosphere but that is where it ends. Long before the days of Sheiks and Russian Billionaires pumping in money as fast as their oil is pumped from the ground, we had the millionaire owners. They were local people granted, but that didn't make them any less dictatorial in their approaches. For every Jack Walker there were 20 Deadly Dougs. These men put their own money into what was for them a chance to play at being God. Anyone, be it supporter, player or manager that didn't toe the party line was dealt with severely. And while we are on the subject of money, it makes me laugh when I hear fans pleading with their Chairmen to pay another mercenary footballer what he wants as he has been 'loyal' to the club that keeps him in the opulent lifestyle he leads. 'He only wants another £20k a week' they tweet and email while grafting away in some non descript job paying them £20k A YEAR and still they don't get the irony. And as for the piddling Millions they expect others to spend on 'their club' while all the time denying these rich benefactors the right to call the shots, just watch the reaction if they are asked to pay an extra £5 a game for the right to watch these prancing primadonas as they offer undying loyalty to the club and kiss the badge, while awaiting the call from their agent regarding the next pay day offered by a rival.
Christmas is indeed a time for giving, and as you cheer on your heroes tomorrow, take a second to think what they are giving you. I would suspect it's not the same loyalty as that shown by you.

Dave Clark @DJClark62

Excellent, thought provoking piece. I found myself both laughing and seeing myself in some of those descriptions.

As has been posited billions of times, football has moved on immeasurably from where it was in the 70s and 80s. I think the Americans use the term Sports Entertainment, and I feel that is what we now get.

I'm not sure it ever was a working class utopia, and it no longer underscores your local identity, though it is still a facet of some sort of identity.

I think, currently, football is more akin to going to the pictures or the theatre these days - you cheer when you are entertained, you boo and cat call when you are not. The days when it meant something to you when you won or lost are indeed long gone.

Part of that may come with growing up though?

Tbh I've thought along those lines for awhile and I'm only 27.
I know I'm a Customer/Consumer and can easily be replaced by "my club"

I have a ST (but in comparison with many other clubs it's reasonably priced)

I can see Football (as we know it) becoming a past time sooner rather than later because of the Greed that surrounds it.

Hopefully one day I will be able to watch a local club and actually "be a part of it" with some form of ownership options and a voice.

The Club know we are replaceable right now, the threat of a stadium ban is right around the corner for many issues just several years back they'd let slide.

You are measured as a Supporter by the size of your bank balance.

I cannot afford to go to every game. Doesn't matter that I help run a Supporters Club, as it stands I'm worthless in the clubs eyes and they'd much rather have a Tourist in my seat who will happily buy a shirt every week and an expensive hot dog.

An interesting thought provoking article.Football is changing beyond all recognition to the game i first watched in 1968 on the Kippax.Some of it for the better,some not.

The facilities are much better and in general football fans are treated more like human beings as opposed to some kind of sub human species.Anyone going in the seventies and eighties will know what i mean.I remember waiting for the train home at Blackpool away and a copper telling us to move because we were making the place untidy,for doing nothing more than stand there chatting.We weren't welcome and in general we were viewed as a menace to be moved on as quickly as possible,sometimes with good cause.The thing was it mattered not how you behaved,in general you were viewed and treated the same.

The good things about football today?Better facilities and less violence,unless you go abroad.The bad things?Higher prices and less atmosphere.

Without realising it football is at a crossroads.They are in the main burying their heads in the sands at the ripple of discontent about prices and lack of atmosphere.''Hey the fans/mugs will still go won't they?Sure they will have a moan,put up a few banners but they won't stop going and if they do someone else will take their place!''.............But....will they?It is a dangerous gamble and one i think they will ultimately lose unless they start to address it.

Great read that, this caught my eye

" And Sky wont be impressed if games have no atmosphere due to there being no away support."

about two weeks ago I had an argument with a plastic rag at work, we was talking about the price of tickets and how they need to come down or at least stop rising. I said if people like me stop going because they are priced out then the game will be knackered and therefore Sky won't have it on the box because there won't be enough interest. His answer was "but people who watch it on telly don't care whether the ground is full or not" he couldn't understand what I was saying at all. I tried to use Rugby League or Italian football as an example but he just didn't understand. This lad is a Salford lad who lives in Bolton, he only goes when he gets free tix and didn't even go the last time he got the free tix, he's everything I despise about plastics!

I remember the excitement of walking up to Maine Road and seeing the TV broadcast vans parked at the front - Yeah, the games going to be on TV tonight, must get back from the pub in time for Match of the Day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.