Are The Beatles and Queen overrated?

They jumped every band wagon going.
And fucked off out of Liverpool at the 1st opportunity
Which bandwagons did they jump on? I would say that they forged the path, especially with their work on making the studio as the primary way to make music. Again, read the quotes in the link I posted and their peers say they were ahead of everyone else in terms of creativity so that doesn't sound like they just jumped on any passing bandwagons. It's pretty common knowledge this, I've not had to dig anything out or be a historian etc!

Is any artist expected to live where they were born forever to be somehow "authentic"?

A thread of opinions about opinions.

Big problem with a thread like this is too many make idiotic comments based on their personal taste rather then any attempt at an objective appreciation of the work of the artists in question.

I am not a huge Beatles fan but I do have almost all their recorded output in my album collection. Given their widely held standing in the musical pantheon, suggestions that they are overrated are misguided.

Queen are somewhat underrated. They have an image problem; also many people, myself included, think that their best work was the early, primarily hard rock, stuff. The variety in their music and a very obvious sense of humour worked against them in some quarters. However, they were able to write and record quality songs of many kinds. They featured a lead singer who was both a very talented vocalist and one of the great front men. They were (are) all excellent musicians, with Brian May being the stand out. They were masters of the recording studio but could rock like muthas live and remain one of the very best acts I’ve seen live, and I‘ve seen a lot. You may not like them but their music, like The Beatles, will remain enduringly popular for a good reason.

Its impossible imo for The Beatles not to be overrated, I'm a fan but the absolute madness that surrounded them was just weird. They are great but nobody deserves THAT much fawning over and attention.

As for Queen, im not a fan at all. Actually hate their music, so yes. Overrated imo

Its impossible imo for The Beatles not to be overrated, I'm a fan but the absolute madness that surrounded them was just weird. They are great but nobody deserves THAT much fawning over and attention.

As for Queen, im not a fan at all. Actually hate their music, so yes. Overrated imo
I can understand people hating Queen for their singles they released. Some were just awful such as We Will Rock You and Radio Ga Ga and the better ones were probably overplayed.

I did listen to them in the early eighties but haven’t returned to them since. There’s definitely something unique in their albums though, they ranged far and wide in their influences and some works, some doesn’t. Listening back now, there’s songs that I just don’t remember. Mainly shit ones, but there’s classics like Brighton Rock, White Queen and The Prophet’s Song plus oddballs like Mustapha. Sheer Heart Attack always sounds way ahead of its time to me.

Brian May is excellent of course but sometimes his guitar sound bores me (can’t say why) as do the background harmony arrangements they used a lot and that signature sound doesn’t do much to earn new fans.

But Freddie pushed the development of the band, and they did brave stuff, maybe pushed like no other band has been. They’re definitely unique I would say.

The Beatles are a phenomenon, love em or hate them, they changed music. Every man and his dog had a skiffle band in the late 50s/early 60s, and whilst everybody else were covering Chuck Berry, Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis numbers, they shown the world you can be working class kids AND write your own songs. They certainly paved the way for The Stones, Kinks, the who and small faces etc etc. Are they overated? That is in the eye of the beholder, everybody has different feelings towards them. Now I'm not a fan of their albums tbh, I just can not get into the white album, and a bit meh about Sergeant Pepper. I prefer Rubber soul tbh, but it still wouldn't be anywhere near my top 20 albums. But when you talk of hit singles then for me, they are unbelievable. Penny Lane,a day in the life, Anna, She loves you, Eleanor Rigby, etc etc etc(we could be here all day). So love em or hate them, it'd take one hard faced fucker to say they were shite..however, like I said over rated is very subjective. I personally prefer The Kinks, I absolutely love em! And they are a under-rated(whilst still being rated to a degree) band for me. Queen ? I fuckin hate em! The only 2 songs I don't turn off are Radio gaga(good memories of the youth club) and Bohemian rhapsody(which again is a love/hate song. And before anybody says Anna was a Arthur Alexander cover.. I know! I just love that one ;-)

Last edited:
Imagine trying to tell someone they’re wrong when it comes to music.
People can like or dislike what the fuck they want. I love a bit of Queen and The Beatles, also love a bit of ABBA. That’s for me and I enjoy their music for my own reasons.
Too many busy cunts worried about other folks personal preferences these days.

Music is about opinions, none are right or wrong, there is no answer.
To me, the Beatles were a boy band, can't stand them other than a couple of songs....yes they are the most covered, but imo most covers are far better than the Beatles original.
Did they change music, yes but so did many others....whoever (i don't know who, as I hate it) was the first 'rap' artist changed it more, rap was far more diverse than anything that came before it!
Yes they were diverse in their musical styles (as their number one fan pointed out on here)....but no more, if as, diverse as Alice Cooper.
Queen? I like rock music....but they are not in my top 10, maybe 15 rock bands.
All opinions ;)

Whether you like listening to the music or not is about opinions. Music theory isn’t though, that can be objective as well as subjective.

I can understand people hating Queen for their singles they released. Some were just awful such as We Will Rock You and Radio Ga Ga and the better ones were probably overplayed.

I did listen to them in the early eighties but haven’t returned to them since. There’s definitely something unique in their albums though, they ranged far and wide in their influences and some works, some doesn’t. Listening back now, there’s songs that I just don’t remember. Mainly shit ones, but there’s classics like Brighton Rock, White Queen and The Prophet’s Song plus oddballs like Mustapha. Sheer Heart Attack always sounds way ahead of its time to me.

Brian May is excellent of course but sometimes his guitar sound bores me (can’t say why) as do the background harmony arrangements they used a lot and that signature sound doesn’t do much to earn new fans.

But Freddie pushed the development of the band, and they did brave stuff, maybe pushed like no other band has been. They’re definitely unique I would say.

Agree about Brian Mays guitar. I think his tone is horrible too, something about it really irritates me.

I think the main reason I don't like them is because my dad used to play them all the time in the car ha, I associate long boring drives during the summer holidays with them

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.