Arsenal (H) - Post Game Thread

I think some are forgetting that the other big clubs in the league have improved and invested a lot of money. It's not over by a long shot and I'm disappointed we drew yesterday. But I'll keep believing until we can't win it. Arsenal parked the bus for long periods and we were not able to unlock their defence this time. We lacked a little quality with the final ball. Top teams don't become crap overnight.
Very true Arsenal were excellent for most of last season and then threw a quarter of a billion on improving the squad. Dippers have bounced back from their off season and we have regressed slightly, yet are right in the mix for another treble

We played ok on Sunday, especially given Arteta was very pragmatic with his set up. Can't work out whether Arsenal's percentage plays (cheap fouls in easy areas and pumping it long on dead balls) deserve credit or if it's a sign of weakness. It always feels like those tactics have a limited shelf life and it's reliant on favourable margins.

Once Stones and Walker got injured, it took away a lot of Pep's room to take risks, such as starting Doku or Grealish. This is incredibly frustrating given how Stones minutes are managed by the club.

Unfortunately it's obvious that having Akanji, Dias or Ake take up volume passing or advanced positions is a clear detriment. Akanji's effort is admirable but there's not the same pace or tempo and prising apart top defences for us is impossible without it. We don't thrive on chaos like Liverpool or seek to bend these margins like Arsenal have.

I think our best chance may be getting Grealish into the team for an extended run. We can then push the risk on the other side, either by Doku or Foden having more licence to carry the ball into the box, or someone underlap into the box on the left.

I was surprised by this 'Top 6 Table' which shows us taking only 2 less points than current leaders Tottenham & Arsenal, although they've both got an additional game left. Shows how tight it all is.

And it's definitely worth checking the minute chart here to see how disrupted we've been.

https://fbref.com/en/squads/b8fd03ef/Manchester-City-Stats

1712071809494.png

We played ok on Sunday, especially given Arteta was very pragmatic with his set up. Can't work out whether Arsenal's percentage plays (cheap fouls in easy areas and pumping it long on dead balls) deserve credit or if it's a sign of weakness. It always feels like those tactics have a limited shelf life and it's reliant on favourable margins.

Once Stones and Walker got injured, it took away a lot of Pep's room to take risks, such as starting Doku or Grealish. This is incredibly frustrating given how Stones minutes are managed by the club.

Unfortunately it's obvious that having Akanji, Dias or Ake take up volume passing or advanced positions is a clear detriment. Akanji's effort is admirable but there's not the same pace or tempo and prising apart top defences for us is impossible without it. We don't thrive on chaos like Liverpool or seek to bend these margins like Arsenal have.

I think our best chance may be getting Grealish into the team for an extended run. We can then push the risk on the other side, either by Doku or Foden having more licence to carry the ball into the box, or someone underlap into the box on the left.

I was surprised by this 'Top 6 Table' which shows us taking only 2 less points than current leaders Tottenham & Arsenal, although they've both got an additional game left. Shows how tight it all is.

And it's definitely worth checking the minute chart here to see how disrupted we've been.

https://fbref.com/en/squads/b8fd03ef/Manchester-City-Stats

View attachment 112490
Dippers still have to play Rags, Villa and Sp*rs so based on that table then there's plenty of room for optimism.

It’s a re run of when pep ran Aguero into the ground irrespective of his injury and age . Pep is a re incarnation of Captain Quint from Jaws.
Yes, he’s been terrible for us hasn’t he.

Genuinely haven’t read a post of yours concerning City that doesn’t read as though you’ve fell from a great height and landed on your head.

Tbf if we had beat all those lesser teams we wouldn’t just be the best team in the world. We would be super human too.

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible. More unlikely that we could keep that level of performance going season after season.

I think yesterday’s game was firstly about not losing.
The slow build up helping to limit counter attacks against us.
Which is what costs us in most games.

I’m assuming Pep will be playing the percentages.
There’s three teams in the mix and we all have big games.
The team that manages these games best will win the league.
I hope it’s us
We only would to have won one of those to be even on points with Liverpool now. We had two of them won before late melt downs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.