Arsenal "invincibles" or Chelsea 04-05?

• Thread starter Deleted member 14625
  • Start date
D D

Deleted member 14625

I hear a lot about the Arsenal 2003-04 "invincibles" team and season. I think a lot of the media type think it is the best season in the Premier League era. Now don't get me wrong, not losing a game is an incredible feat, but i think i'm more impressed by Chelsea's 2004-05 season. Now they did lose. They lost one game, but they won more than Arsenal the previous season and picked up more points. Yet this season isn't talked back about compared to the "invincibles" season.

Which do you rate higher?

Also which season do you think is the Rags best Prem season/team?

Read this

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=239121&p=4975447&hilit=premier#p4975447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=14&t=239121&p=4975447&hilit=premier#p4975447</a>

For me it's the Invincibles because of the players they had and the football they played. That Chelsea team was not as easy on the eye as the Arsenal one. Arsenal had the right mix of creativity, skill, flair, power and defense. Plus the fact that no other team has managed to go a whole season unbeaten shows how difficult it actually is to do that. I might be wrong but as well as being 'invincible' they also reached the Champions League final in Paris but lost to Barcelona. So Invincible in the League and Champions League final is pretty good, no?

As for Man U, the team with Ronaldo etc was good, no point denying it, but their best team has to be 1999. The Treble and home grown players like Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Neville's, Butt. Won't ever be done again!!

Im quite sure they were reduced to 10 men early on. They would have won that game otherwise

intheknow! said:
I might be wrong

Too right you are.

I liked Arsenals style of play in that season, but they drew an awful lot of games - invincible to me means winning every game, but that isnt likely to happen. Arsenal wasnt convincing in a lot of those games, and towards the end of the season seemed to be playing for the record rather than anything else.

Chelsea however - they were scary that season. They LOOKED like winning every game and it seemed a freak result when they didnt. It is the only time I have gone into a PL game not expecting to win.

The Arsenal invincibles team is the best domestic team I have seen (which means since 75). They were great in every department and very good to watch.

Must admit to going to seem them at some games in the north west when we didnt have a game I was that impressed!

Still amazes me that Chelsea's top scorer that season was Frank Lampard with 13. Thirteen. Next in line was Gudjohnson with 12, and Drogba with 10. In a season where they finished with 95 points, having only lost once, their top scorer after 38 games had scored 3 more goals than 2 of our players are on already. They still scored 72 overall, Arsenal scored even more with 87, but their defence only let in a measly 15 goals to Arsenals 36.

They got more points than Arsenals invincible season, only scored 1 less goal, conceded 11 goals less, and won 3 more games. Unfortunately the only reason they won't be remembered is because they lost one solitary game, but regardless of which you thought was easier on the eye, the Chelsea 04-05 team was probably better, even though the Arsenal team will be more fondly remembered.

Actually whilst looking back at that year I noticed something truly lol. Everton who finished fourth and into the CL play offs, and bearing in mind the goal difference of the top 3 was 57, 51 and 32 respectively, managed to get there with a goal difference of minus 1. To think what we went through to get 4th last season, they only scored 45 goals and conceded 46. Neverton indeed, deary me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.