Arsenal or Tottenham? And other local rivalries.

AliBobbyJ

Team supported
City
In the pub or on long train journeys the topic has often come up "which of these local rivals do you prefer (or dislike least)?" With some it's easy to choose: Everton not L'pool, Sunderland not Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday (blue) not Sheff Utd. But between Arsenal and Spurs it's a lot harder. If you HAD to pick one, who'd it be? The arrogant Tarquins who've grown even more dislikeable under Arteta in the past year, or Tottingham going back to 1981?

More generally, do folk have preferences, however peculiar or irrational, between, say, Norwich & Ipswich? Southampton & Portsmouth? Derby County & Notts Forest? Swansea & Cardiff? I'm not getting into Scottish rivalries but further afield is it Roma or Lazio? Benfica or Sporting? River Plate or Boca?

It’s almost always the Blues. Or the perennial underdogs /underachievers. Preferably both. Politics or religion has 0% influence on my doubtless irrational preferences. Espanyol, Torino, Munich 1860. Millonarios in Bogotá, and never Santa Fé, who play in the Arsenal shirts their founder supported.

The North London pair is very much an Ugly Baby contest for me though. A plague on both their houses.

As I detest Spurs more than all but three other teams, it is no contest, though Arsenal are not very high up on my list of likeable clubs.

Another rivalry that hasn’t been mentioned is Exeter City and Plymouth Argyle, who absolutely loathe each other.

I prefer Exeter because a mate - Tony Kellow - used to play for them. The first professional football match I ever saw was Exeter's 4th round replay victory over Leicester in 1981, in which Tony scored a hat-trick:

I don’t like Spurs. But I’d choose them over letter-headed Woolwich. I can’t stand Arsenal.

West Ham and QPR over all other London clubs
Sunderland over Newcastle
Pompey over Southampton
Bristol Rovers over City
Brum over Villa
Everton over Liverpool
Wednesday over United
Derby over Forest
Swansea over Cardiff
I quite like both West Brom and Wolves
I hate United and Liverpool equally

Queens Park over Celtic and Rangers
Hearts over Hibs
Torino over Juve
Hamburg over St Pauli
Nurnburg over Bayern
Shalke over Dortmund
Espanyol over Barça
Rayo Vallecano over Atléti and Madrid
Sevilla over Betis
I like both Real Sociedad and Bilbao and always want them to beat all other Spanish teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t like Spurs. But I’d choose them over letter-headed Woolwich. I can’t stand Arsenal.

West Ham and QPR over all other London clubs
Sunderland over Newcastle
Pompey over Southampton
Bristol Rovers over City
Brum over Villa
Everton over Liverpool
Wednesday over United
Derby over Forest
Swansea over Cardiff
I quite like both West Brom and Wolves
I hate United and Liverpool equally

Queens Park over Celtic and Rangers
Hearts over Hibs
Torino over Juve
Hamburg over St Pauli
Nurnburg over Bayern
Shalke over Dortmund
Espanyol over Barça
Rayo Vallecano over Atléti and Madrid
Sevilla over Betis
I like both Real Sociedad and Bilbao and always want them to beat all other Spanish teams.
Cloned! Apart from the first one.

I oddly favour certain teams over others , sometimes for reasons, sometimes no reason at all.

Always had a soft spot for sheff weds. Think i had their subbuteo team.

Sunderland after that maine road game where they went down ensures a life long soft spot. Get sick of hearing about the amazing geordie support of newcastle

Everton over liverpool OBVIOUSLY!

Brum over villa. Brum are the birmingham team, like we are the manchester team.

Most others i couldnt care less. Dont mind west ham, QPR.
Couldnt choose between arse/spurs, both pricks. Probably dislike arsenal slightly less

Never liked cov for no reason.
Always look out for plymouth results for no reason at all

In the pub or on long train journeys the topic has often come up "which of these local rivals do you prefer (or dislike least)?" With some it's easy to choose: Everton not L'pool, Sunderland not Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday (blue) not Sheff Utd. But between Arsenal and Spurs it's a lot harder. If you HAD to pick one, who'd it be? The arrogant Tarquins who've grown even more dislikeable under Arteta in the past year, or Tottingham going back to 1981?

More generally, do folk have preferences, however peculiar or irrational, between, say, Norwich & Ipswich? Southampton & Portsmouth? Derby County & Notts Forest? Swansea & Cardiff? I'm not getting into Scottish rivalries but further afield is it Roma or Lazio? Benfica or Sporting? River Plate or Boca?
I wonder if this is down to 'em looking a more formidable outfit (last night excepted) than previous seasons. We were much loved before we started winning and the RDAHMeedya and associated shitehawks took and still take great exception with every point we accumulate.

And had I the misfortune of living in North London, but an avid footy fan, I'd plump for Barnet!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.