As Things Stand...

imo to get the balance right we need two new signings: a (potential) world class centre back to replace otamendi, and a (potential) world class left-sided midfielder/left wing to jointly replace silva and sane. so ideally the default league starts' distribution (at centre back/midfield) would be roughly as follows:

centre back: laporte 32, koulibaly/skriniar/soyuncu 32, stones 8, fernandinho 4

defensive mid: rodri 26, gundogan 8, fernandinho 4

right wing: bernardo 26, mahrez 12

right centre mid: de bruyne 32, bernardo 6

left centre mid: aouar 26, foden 12

left wing: sterling 32, aouar 6

if (when) we do suffer multiple long-term first team injuries, i’d trust our squad players - stones, fern, gundogan, mahrez and foden - to provide decent cover in their respective positions.

if sane ends up staying, i'd suggest we sell mahrez instead. then give sterling and sane close to 30 starts each on the wings (similar to 17/18), with bernardo splitting close to 25 starts between right wing and right centre mid.

sane is better and younger than mahrez. but the problems with keeping sane would be 1) it means sterling plays primarily on the right where he's less effective, and 2) our wing backs become less of an attacking threat versus playing with inverted wingers.

Get Alderweireld or Vertonghen on a free for a season or two. Garcia and THB might be ready after that

we need to get rid of,bravo,nico,mendy,gundo and replace them with quality

We need a CB, LB, Midfielder and Striker.

Plus winger if Sane leaves.

Not sure we'll be able to get all that in the summer at the prices the club would want.

I don’t hear too many people saying we can’t question the transfer policy anymore. Turns out that buying Mahrez for £60m one summer then not bothering to replace Kompany the next isn’t exactly a winning formula. Not improving the squad is always a mistake. Now we need to buy a backup GK, LB, at least one CB, and at least one attacker this year. Great.

as things stand

1 ............2 left backs One to replace Mendy who is utter dog shit and one to replace Angelino who aint good enough to be back up.
2 one possibly two centre forwards (at least in the next 18 months -one to replace Aguero and one to replace Jesus who doesnt seem to show any promise of steppin up as a first choice striker
3. Sell Gindogan and replace him with an all around combative /box to box midfielder
4. Sell Bravo - we need a better number 2
5 a replacement for David Silva????? - is this Foden or is that just blue tinted specs - not sure
6. Two centre halves - one to replace Kompany and one to push for a place in the squad - sell/get rid of Ottomendi

Then you have the issue of both Mahrez being horrendously inconsistnt (and sometimes just horrendous) and Sane wanting out -- s possibly neeing two wide attacking players (B. SIlva is out of position doing this)

What I would be looking at:

1. A new number 2 GK. Bravo is absolutely wank and his mere presence in the team drains the confidence from the rest of the 11.

2 Replace Otamendi. This needs to be a 'ready made' with a quality level of a Kompany / VVD / Koulibaly. I would be prepared to spend whatever this takes. Play this new CB with Laporte. Stones 3rd choice and bring the 2 kids through gently.

3. Replace Gundogan. I'd be all over Maddison. Huge upgrade and a much harder working player.

4. Replace Sane (would prefer to keep but if he wants out let him go). I like Gnabry but there are other options out there.

5. Get Mendy properly fit and integrated.

6. Bring in Aguero's eventual replacement. This needs to be a 'ready made' who is top class and fully established. None of this 'potential' bollocks.

No need to directly replace Dave. Bernardo and Foden can do that between them.

Keep Fernandinho 1 more season.

Not sure what to do re Mahrez.

With FFP boxed off we should spend whatever it takes this summer. No fucking about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.