As we get ready to go to the semi final...

Halfpenny

... let's spare a thought for the 96 who went to Hillsborough this day 22 years ago for the same purpose but never returned. A horrible day for football. RIP.

Had that very thought the other night before the Liverpool game.

I remember getting back into the coach that day at Blackburn. Lost 4-0 and fuming and the radio was on. I remember thinking that could have been us. Terrible, terrible day.

Hear hear. And were branded hooligans by a police force desperate to cover up it's own inadequacies.

I was at Ewood park that day watching Simon Garner destroy us on his own - 3 goals in a 4 goal mauling.

Didn't realise the enormity of what went on until We were in the car going home.

Tragic, truly tragic.

Forget the "Scouse" thing, 96 football fans lost their lives that day.

RIP

apple pie corner said:
I was at Ewood park that day watching Simon Garner destroy us on his own - 3 goals in a 4 goal mauling.

Didn't realise the enormity of what went on until We were in the car going home.

Tragic, truly tragic.

Forget the "Scouse" thing, 96 football fans lost their lives that day.

RIP

Yep I remember that Blackburn game as well. Things like that tend to stick in your head..... Bit like beating Charlton 5 - 1 for promotion in 85 only to get home and see the Bradford fire pictures on TV. Suppose it puts things in perspective and makes Bill Shankly's famous quote meaningless.

RIP the 96 .......... just football fans like me & you.

I was at Ewood too, sitting in the seats. City got hammered although it was a side pushing for promotiton at the time.

What I remember is word going around the stand all game. It started as "trouble at Hillsbrough", progressed to "injuries in crush", then the number of dead started to go round, just going up and up and up.

As others said, we just sat in total silence at the way back home in the car listening to the enormity of it all unfurl on the radio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.