Ashley Cole says English players afraid to go abroad

Great to see Ryan Gauld move to Sporting CP this summer (Sporting Lisbon). Not enough young brits dare make the move abroad and as a result we don't get the variety of player types that other nations get. Different nations and leagues breed different style and different types of players, by limiting ourselves to just one style, we seriously limit our potential.

When people say too many foreighners is the cause of england being so poor I only half agree, I think the fact that no english players ply their trade abroad is also a key factor

Perhaps more would attract interest from abroad if we produced players with a decent amount of skill.
The top English players know they can earn lots by staying here, but the next level are stuck in the championship because they aren't considered good enough by top European teams.
It's all down to us not having sufficient coaches with the highest UEFA qualifications.

Only guessing but I imagine there is a trickle-down effect on wages in England. Your average Joe in a modest PL side, or a Championship team, probably earns more than his opposite number overseas.

Then there is British insularity, too, which includes a lack of opportunity or reluctance to learn foreign languages.

Fortunately we do have notable exceptions to the rule. Joey Barton, for example, who lit up the south of France and quickly picked up the local lingo.

Look at Tom Ince, could have signed for Inter or Monaco (teams well above his ability) yet he chose to stay over here and sign for Hull(?)

Crouchinho said:
That's one thing I would have loved to have done if I were a professional footballer to play abroad. I quite liked seeing Mcmanaman, Owen and Ince all play abroad

It's a pity that those three didn't stay abroad.

ell said:
Look at Tom Ince, could have signed for Inter or Monaco (teams well above his ability) yet he chose to stay over here and sign for Hull(?)
His ego wouldn't have stood it.

Re: Ashley Cole says English players afraid to go

pudge said:
To be fair to him he went from Arsenal to Chelsea, so he's always been at a big club challenging for honours.

I do agree with his point as well. When you see someone like Mario and Nastasic move here at the age of 19 and 20 respectively, how often do you see English players of the same age move abroad?

Never mind youth team players, our academy is signing kids of all ages from Holland and Nigeria, again how many young English players do you hear of doing the same?

It can't be solely down to "there's no interest from foreign clubs". It was refreshing to see Ryan Gauld (I know he's Scottish) move from Dundee United to Sporting Lisbon.

This is, in my opinion, the sole reason as to why the English national team is so shite. Players complain about not getting chances at clubs, but they could do what all other young footballers do, and move where the games are. If they were more willing to do that. Instead they'd rather go and play for a shite league 1 team where they learn next to nothing about technical football and it's usually a huge waste of everyone's time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.