Athens

I'm going to Athens for a few nights next month - all very touristy.

a) Should I book tickets for the Parthenon in advance? and
b) there seems to be more than one hop on hop off tourist bus service offering different options. Can anybody recommend one the operators?
Had a week there last year for the super cup.
By far the best option for getting around is the metro, trains every 10 mins that will take you everywhere. A 5 day unlimited pass was only 7 euros, easily available at any station. Also easy to get on the train from the airport to the centre of Athens for around 10 euro.
The parthenon is pay at the entrance 20-25 euros, no idea if it's cheaper to pre book.

I'm going to Athens for a few nights next month - all very touristy.

a) Should I book tickets for the Parthenon in advance? and
b) there seems to be more than one hop on hop off tourist bus service offering different options. Can anybody recommend one the operators?
a) Pre-booking helps avoid queuing but I believe you are held strictly to the time allocated on the App.

Get to the Parthenon early, when the gates open. The big crowds will pile in about an hour later (in my experience).

Make sure you go to the Acropolis museum, it's a must see. I also recommend eating at God's Restaurant which is close to the Acropolis, great food and very reasonably priced.

As for the tour bus... I've been to Athens four times, each time 'out of peak season' and have always done the sights on foot. It's a smaller place than you think. However, if it's a very hot day, the bus would probably be a good option!

Get to the Parthenon early, when the gates open. The big crowds will pile in about an hour later (in my experience).

Make sure you go to the Acropolis museum, it's a must see. I also recommend eating at God's Restaurant which is close to the Acropolis, great food and very reasonably priced.

As for the tour bus... I've been to Athens four times, each time 'out of peak season' and have always done the sights on foot. It's a smaller place than you think. However, if it's a very hot day, the bus would probably be a good option!
Only been to a Athens once in the 90s and from the top of the Acropolis the city looked huge. Didn't get yo see much else as I was on a day trip from the nearest Island of Aegina where we stayed. I wouldn't recommend Aegina as the beaches were filthy with litter and crude oil which ruined the holiday.

Only been to an Athens once in the 90s and from the top of the Acropolis the city looked huge. Didn't get yo see much else as I was on a day trip from the nearest Island of Aegina where we stayed. I wouldn't recommend Aegina as the beaches were filthy with litter and crude oil which ruined the holiday.
Yeah Aegina was really bad. Went there a year after a great holiday on Spetses, thinking it would be similar. As you say, dirty…

Thanks for the info.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.