Attendance reporting - Just Guess like Sky

Back in the day, I used to enjoy getting my Sunday newspaper and studying the attendance figures in all four divisions with a nice brew and a bacon butty. I’d know days later that there was 7445 at Bristol Rovers v Hartlepool United or a paltry 1924 at Wigan Athletic v Torquay United. It’s so annoying - started by the rags - when there’s no attendance figure published. There was someone a few years back who submitted a ‘freedom of information’ request to GMP to get the attendance figures at the swamp. The results proved what we all knew - their attendances were shite and were many thousands below capacity each week. Found the link…

It isn't something I overly concern myself with. As has been said I used to look at the attendances in the paper when I was younger but we didn't really have anything else positive to focus on back then.

That said; it is irritating when you get back from a game and you know it's a full house and there's 'Emptyhad' jokes on social media or the comments section from an armchair fan in Africa.

I was talking to a long in the tooth fan last week, aged 87, who was privy to good Old Peter Swales renowned penchant for knocking a few thousand off the attendance figure. He worked for security at the ground and would take ‘the cash’ to the bank after it had been counted!
Many fans will remember entering the Kippax through the turnstiles when the guys taking the money would let you double up and you gave him a small donation, or you climbed underneath your mates legs.
Emergency services, when off duty were also let in via one of the big blue solid gates in the corner between The Kippax and Platt Lane stand.
It can’t happen now of course to the same extent because of all seater stadia, apart from gibbing in where possible.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.