Autistic child kept in an isolation room for a month

jay_mcfc

At a school in Kent whilst receiving no direct teaching and being unable to leave the room. Alarm bells were only raised after the child attempted suicide in the room.

Every now and then I read a story that makes my blood boil. As a father of a boy on the spectrum this disgusts me. Give me 5 minutes in an isolation room with the headmaster! Seems like it’s not just one case either and it’s happening in other schools around the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...ompts-legal-action?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet

Oh there is plenty of discrimination going on still in regards to Autism, and its a frustratingly complex issue to fight against. As a autist you might need to learn to be youre own laywer, and be a good one at that to boot, simply because there will be moments in youre life where being concious of youre rights and standing up against discrimination will make a significant difference to youre life. At the very least make sure you can get any protection that you can get, and furthermore make sure that the mark of autism isn't abused for the sake of marginalisation.

I need to go into further detail and tell part of my story in relation to this, otherwise such things go unheard anyway.

Like the girl in this article, i have ADHD. Like the girl in this article, i too have been given draconian punishments in great volume while i was a kid essentially for reasons of my ADHD. And not just Draconian mind you, violent at times to boot. Ive been physicly hurt mutiple times by teachers when i was a kid until the day i started fight back, and then it proved those teachers only dared to hit kids that didn't fight back anyway so that worked though its pretty fucking sick aswell. Depressed? Anxiety? Yeah that sounds fucking recognisable. But as to example's similar to this, yes ive been put in soletary comfinement for weeks aswell, i also hold te record of detentions in 6 local school when managing to receive 6 detentions per week for the majority of a year.

I would never amount to something my teachers said. I dropped out of school when i was 18 completly disillusioned. I had a lot of trouble in my early carreer because of it.

At a later age i got my secondary degree trough adult education. I did what ammounted to 4 years in school in just 1 year.

At a even later state, i got my Bachelor degree in engineering/product development. This complements my lower education and experience in IT programming and network administration, so i do a lot of Automation trough PLC for example with computer control of machinery.

I am planning to get my master aswell, shouldn't be that hard.

That said, jobseeking is fucking rediculous, the discrimination is so fucking frustrating, always they need to delve deep into my autism and my past regardless of how irrelevant it might be today, and in a practicle sense i only got 1/8th the chance of a normal person with absolutly similar capabillety's. No way to hide it neither, it's not like "just don't let anyone know youre an autist" is an option or even should be one adviced withought shame for the underlying stigma.

I got to say, i got educated and concious enough to make my own judgement: Society still discriminates against autists in various ways, better be preppared to fight back if you happen to be one.

I wouldn't even disaprove if the girl smacks a few of those teachers.

I need to go into further detail and tell part of my story in relation to this, otherwise such things go unheard anyway.

Like the girl in this article, i have ADHD. Like the girl in this article, i too have been given draconian punishments in great volume while i was a kid essentially for reasons of my ADHD. And not just Draconian mind you, violent at times to boot. Ive been physicly hurt mutiple times by teachers when i was a kid until the day i started fight back, and then it proved those teachers only dared to hit kids that didn't fight back anyway so that worked though its pretty fucking sick aswell. Depressed? Anxiety? Yeah that sounds fucking recognisable. But as to example's similar to this, yes ive been put in soletary comfinement for weeks aswell, i also hold te record of detentions in 6 local school when managing to receive 6 detentions per week for the majority of a year.

I would never amount to something my teachers said. I dropped out of school when i was 18 completly disillusioned. I had a lot of trouble in my early carreer because of it.

At a later age i got my secondary degree trough adult education. I did what ammounted to 4 years in school in just 1 year.

At a even later state, i got my Bachelor degree in engineering/product development. This complements my lower education and experience in IT programming and network administration, so i do a lot of Automation trough PLC for example with computer control of machinery.

I am planning to get my master aswell, shouldn't be that hard.

That said, jobseeking is fucking rediculous, the discrimination is so fucking frustrating, always they need to delve deep into my autism and my past regardless of how irrelevant it might be today, and in a practicle sense i only got 1/8th the chance of a normal person with absolutly similar capabillety's. No way to hide it neither, it's not like "just don't let anyone know youre an autist" is an option or even should be one adviced withought shame for the underlying stigma.

I got to say, i got educated and concious enough to make my own judgement: Society still discriminates against autists in various ways, better be preppared to fight back if you happen to be one.

I wouldn't even disaprove if the girl smacks a few of those teachers.

Christ, that's appalling. Full solidarity to you and thanks for sharing.

My son was diagnosed at around 2 and a half because he had the triangular effect of not communicating, repetitive behaviours and lack of social skills (he would scream if he was within ten feet of another child), although the doctors did say it would be up for revision in a year or two. Thankfully, in that time my son has come on so much. He's starting to speak a little (he's just turned 5) in both English and Spanish and he understands most of what you say to him in either language. He's very good socially although he still struggles to actually play with other kids he is great around them and he looks a lot happier and he's laughing along at his own things. And a lot of his repetitive behaviours have gone too.

We have been lucky in a couple of ways - 1 He was born with tortocolis (not sure what that is in English? Problems with his neck where his head can only move one way. With having that he was in and out of the hospital a lot and one particular doctor saw him when he was about 1 year old and immediately referred him to the psychologist for testing. Because of that he's had so much therapy and one-to-one help it's improved him beyond recognition.

2- He managed to get into public school because he never had any behavioural issues. In fact he's the sweetest little boy you could imagine and he is probably the best behaved and most obedient in the class. He also receives special needs help so he gets 10 hours of his school week with an assisstant. He also has 4 hours of speech therapy and 4 hours of occupational therapy in school too, and a few hours outside of school. So he's receiving so much help and attention and really where he's at now is a miracle.

But it breaks my heart to read how some people with autism are treated, cases like in the story above and yours. It's vile, especially in this day and age.

There's so many positive aspects to children with autism if people have the patience to understand. Just a small example but most kids in his class can hardly count to 20 - Mateo counts to 100 in English and Spanish - and backwards too. He's been writing the alphabet perfectly since he was two etc etc.

Thx for the heads up. Giving sufficient attention indeed is key, the horror is with the sheer incompetence and indifference that might be encountered to the point of effective discrimination, as you might guess it can be a cruel world out there.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.