Avanti Trains (match day travel from the South East)

You can go via Crewe on West Midlands trains and back via Crewe on Avanti the week after for £33. It’s £66 for the Norwich weekend. Might be worth looking at LNER and changing at Leeds or Doncaster. You can do that, if booked early enough, for about £55.
Good shout. I can do that for £60 (inc the Leeds/Manc return). Certainly way better than what Avanti are asking

Just had a look as it says saver fares avaialble but it's £48.75 with railcard for journey MK to Manchester. That's the regualr full price with a railcard so no saver fares there.

I am also a bit 50/50 just in case the situaiton changes and there are fewer/no fans allowed back. Don't want to waste the £48.75 if things go arse up.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Avanti are shooting themselves in the foot here! Very greedy! After a little look around, for the Norwich game, I've managed to get from London Euston to Manchester and back for just under £54, by going up from Euston on Northwestern (£9.30) and changing at Crewe to/from Manchester on tfwrail (£9.60 return) and then back from Crewe on Avanti (£34.90). 3 1/2 hours out and 2hrs 40 return... I used the train split page to guide me (although I booked with the individual companies). Don't think I'll be able to get up for the Arsenal match on Bank Holiday Saturday!

Avanti are shooting themselves in the foot here! Very greedy! After a little look around, for the Norwich game, I've managed to get from London Euston to Manchester and back for just under £54, by going up from Euston on Northwestern (£9.30) and changing at Crewe to/from Manchester on tfwrail (£9.60 return) and then back from Crewe on Avanti (£34.90). 3 1/2 hours out and 2hrs 40 return... I used the train split page to guide me (although I booked with the individual companies). Don't think I'll be able to get up for the Arsenal match on Bank Holiday Saturday!
I do the ticket split thing myself as they do add on a couple of quid commission. Don't know whether to leave it a bit or just bite the bullet

*EDIT. Just taken a second look. For the sake of a tenner, I'll probably be a mug and pay full whack. Football is meant to be a relaxing day and not a remake of Around the World in 80 Days

Last edited:
I suspect industry is trying to claw back its losses,of which rail was hit very hard.
Over the past few weeks i have noticed while i am spending more money i havent altered my routine.
The cost of living has definitely risen,and many people haven't had a pay rise (with many losing their income completely).
It does seem things are going to get tougher before they (hopefully,although wont hold my breath) get better.
That isn’t going to work. People on non-essential travel at weekends are very sensitive to price. Try keeping prices high and your revenue will fall. People will go via car or by bus or maybe just stay at home?

The railways lost a lot of passengers during the lockdown and will not win them back with high prices.

Was out for a few beers with my ex Avanti colleagues last night & apparently they've just been instructed to reduce train services on all routes as a result of crew shortages caused by the "pingdemic".
This means Manchester route services are going back to hourly from Monday until at least the end of August, and the Manchester via Crewe and Wilmslow trains are all going to be cancelled.

Avanti Trains Reduced timetable​

From Monday 26 July we are introducing a reduced timetable on the West Coast Main Line. This will ensure a reliable service, so our customers can travel with confidence. The timetable will be updated weekly. Please check back on Saturday 24 & Sunday 25 July for the weekday timetable for Monday 26 – Friday 30 July.

Here’s a summary of the services we’ll be operating by destination. This timetable is expected to run until Monday 30 August (inclusive):

RouteSummary
ManchesterOne train per hour to Manchester calling at Milton Keynes, Stoke-on-Trent, Macclesfield, and Stockport.

Two trains per hour via Stoke-on-Trent on Fridays during selected hours between 10.00 – 18.00.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.