Backup CM- Who would you play?

BigOscar said:
TrueBlue1705 said:
The idea that Milner couldn't play the holding role is an absolute nonsense - If a top professional footballer with the attitude and commitment of Jimmy Milner can't do a job for the team in that position then there's something seriously wrong....

... and seriously folks Yaya's defensive instincts are mixed at best ..... We are basically denying ourselves one of the best midfield attacking forces in the world right now when Yaya sits deep - makes no sense especially if the strikers are not firing on all cylinders and in Aguero's absence....
I think people seriously underrate the mental side of the game, you can't just learn how to play a new position overnight. Positioning, discipline and tactical nous take time to develop, espeically to get the right instincts to make the right choices. Milner might have all the enthusiasm and willingness in the world, but that won't make up for him not knowing what he's doing.

England have been doing this nonsense for decades, throwing two midfielders who's natural games don't balance together in the misguided belief that it doesn't matter and that they have enough talent to make up for it.

I think you're all doing Milner an injustice saying he doesn't have the intelligence to adapt - Yaya is brilliant on the ball but pretty poor defensively at times in the DM role ...<br /><br />-- Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:03 pm --<br /><br />
King Geedorah said:
TrueBlue1705 said:
King Geedorah said:
Milner, Toure and one of Garcia or Demichelis to sit.

Milner and Toure both create so there's no issue there.

That sounds Ok to me - Not the biggest fan of MDM but at least Milner has 'legs' and compensate for MDM's lack of mobility and leave Yaya with a completely free role to attack

Pretty much the logic behind it.

At the end of the day Yaya scores as many as most strikers so just the 1 upfront isn't a huge issue.

Agree and I don't know what Pellegrini was thinking of vs Norwich with how he set up and with the subs he made ..

BigOscar said:
TrueBlue1705 said:
The idea that Milner couldn't play the holding role is an absolute nonsense - If a top professional footballer with the attitude and commitment of Jimmy Milner can't do a job for the team in that position then there's something seriously wrong....

... and seriously folks Yaya's defensive instincts are mixed at best ..... We are basically denying ourselves one of the best midfield attacking forces in the world right now when Yaya sits deep - makes no sense especially if the strikers are not firing on all cylinders and in Aguero's absence....
I think people seriously underrate the mental side of the game, you can't just learn how to play a new position overnight. Positioning, discipline and tactical nous take time to develop, espeically to get the right instincts to make the right choices. Milner might have all the enthusiasm and willingness in the world, but that won't make up for him not knowing what he's doing.

England have been doing this nonsense for decades, throwing two midfielders who's natural games don't balance together in the misguided belief that it doesn't matter and that they have enough talent to make up for it.

I agree with this completely. Fans overlook this aspect of a position change far too much. I'd add that even if you had played a position in the past, a player still isn't necessarily going to be sufficiently instinctual out of position today. These guys have to make decisions in milliseconds or less, it's an incredibly difficult thing to ask of a player.

6one said:
allyboy said:
Milner by a country mile.

Pellegrini has basically said Milner can't play holding role by virtue of him saying only Yaya can play there in the absence of Fernandinho and Garcia.

Loads of fans seem to think Milner is an expert midfielder. I don't see it. He had 1 good game there v Villa 2 years ago.

To be fair MP seems to think MD is great in CM and Garcia at CH.

TrueBlue1705 said:
BigOscar said:
TrueBlue1705 said:

I think you're all doing Milner an injustice saying he doesn't have the intelligence to adapt - Yaya is brilliant on the ball but pretty poor defensively at times in the DM role ...
I am not doing Milner an injustice and at no point did I mention his intelligence, I am not singling him out at all. I am pointing out that no player can just step into a completely different role and know what to do, especially a position that is mainly about the mental side of the game. They spend decades of their life learning how to play their positions and it's doing them a disservice to suggest that they can just switch to a completely new one overnight

For me it is simply a case of what works best for the team. By no means were we perfect defensively with Fernandinho in that role, but his ability to chase down the opposition and pass the ball forward quickly and incisively was a key to our success in games. So for me the question is who is best suited to do what Fernandinho did and allow the least disruption to the team? The answer based on current form is Milner. I think historically going back to his Everton games Rodwell was pretty decent at doing that but he is not sharp enough or up to match pace yet. His performance against Watford is a black mark, but I think he may have had different instructions. People have said he was awful defensively but I am not entirely sure he was supposed to be playing a defensive role.

I would definitely keep Silva, Yaya, Navas etc as was and just integrate Milner into midfield. I would allow Yaya to play exactly how he has rather than stifle him with defensive duties. It is not his preferred role and it is not his best role. Similarly to Rodwell, he has that natural urge to get forward whereas Milner is well disciplined and if you told him to stay within the centre circle for 90mins you could guarentee that is exactly what he would do.

How about Zabaleta infront of the back 4 with Richards or Clichy at right back?

Just a suggestion as I'd personally just go with Milner or Rodwell and just tell them to sit and protect the back 4.

ElMatador said:
bugsyblue said:
Milner all the way
Please no. He was garbage today.

but he's had some excellent other outings, even if as you allude to he may have an off-day like everyone else.

- he's also capable of picking out players and splitting defences with outstanding passing

* Kolarov offers permutations as well

I love Milner as a wide man but he has no right to be in the centre at this club. He is not a CM, full stop. Simply not good enough. Of course he'll always attract the simpletons with his "work rate" though, so it'll be tough to convince many.

For me it would be a midfield trio, Rodwell/Milner as CM's or Rodwell as DM, Milner box-to-box, while Yaya with free role ahead of them, Milner also helping out on the left when Kolarov attacks a lot, while Jovetic coming in form the left, and this still leaves 3 spots, for Silva and Negredo or Dzeko.

Doubt Pelle will tinker this much.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.