Baclofen for Alcohol addiction

JTDL said:
Im not sure of the specifics but my girlfriends a gastroenterologist and has used baclofen a lot. I think it helps reduce cravings. Problem with these things is the benefit is only ever really small and the person ultimately has to want to change. Librium or chlordiazepoxide is generally used when alcoholics are admitted to stop withdrawal.

That is the key, once 'the person' realises that then counselling can do more than any drugs.

I work in an inpatient detox unti(feel free to pm me). Acamprostae(camprol) is usually used to help stop cravings and Antabuse is usually used as aversion therapy to stop drinking, Naltrexone can also be prescrided from cravings and to stop the 'positive' feelings from alcohol.

If possible they need to make an appointment with their GP, to discuss levels of drinking/health issues

The person you are talking about, needs(if in a fit state) to contact their local community alcohol team(CAT) an arrange an appointment. They will discuss the best way forward ie cutting down, home detox or residential. They will also discuss abstinent groups AA/SMART and other groups around self-esteem, triggers to drinking and other groups along those lines

If he/she is not in a fit state and you have serious worries about their health get them to A+E.

Like I said feel free to pm me if you want any more info/numbers. I'm also able(when in work tonight' to email you information on the medication above for your own records.

But again, if you/they have serious/immediate concerns get them to A+E

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.