Bad man management

Robinho's Subbuteo

Team supported
Manchester City
I think we all agree that it is the manager's job to motivate the players.
I think we all agree that Elano, when motivated, is an awesome player and a very valuable member of the squad.
So, from a motivational point of view, out of 10, how do you rate MH words about a new contract for Elano being a VERY low priority?

Personally, I'd give MH 1 out of 10. I'm not saying MH should drop everything in favour of a negotiation to extend Elano's contract but here we have a player who is openly saying that he is happy at City and wants to be at the club for "a long time" and MH has effectively said 'Whatever'. Would it have been so hard for MH to say something like "we're really happy that Elano is a Manchester City player and that he is enjoying his football. He is clearly a very skillful and talented player and if his performances continue like they are we will no doubt be looking to extend his contract in the future"?

To be fair to Hughes it's not that important yet with 2 years still remaining and I don't think any contracts are going to be sorted until he himself gets a decision on his own future. However you make a fair point that he could have chose his words more kindly and still said the same thing.

He said he has other players on shorter contracts, who he has to sort out first! Can anyone tell me who these players are, the Sturridge think has dragged on forever and i can understand that he probably wants to tie him up but is there anyone else to sort out? Elano has got to be spoken to in my opinion and Hughes has to be man enough to admit that he has been utilised all wrong and is a superior player further up the pitch, sorry Sweep.

bluebandits said:
He said he has other players on shorter contracts, who he has to sort out first! Can anyone tell me who these players are, the Sturridge think has dragged on forever and i can understand that he probably wants to tie him up but is there anyone else to sort out? Elano has got to be spoken to in my opinion and Hughes has to be man enough to admit that he has been utilised all wrong and is a superior player further up the pitch, sorry Sweep.

He has too sit down with Danny Mills first.............

Robinho's Subbuteo said:
I think we all agree that it is the manager's job to motivate the players.
I think we all agree that Elano, when motivated, is an awesome player and a very valuable member of the squad.
So, from a motivational point of view, out of 10, how do you rate MH words about a new contract for Elano being a VERY low priority?

Personally, I'd give MH 1 out of 10. I'm not saying MH should drop everything in favour of a negotiation to extend Elano's contract but here we have a player who is openly saying that he is happy at City and wants to be at the club for "a long time" and MH has effectively said 'Whatever'. Would it have been so hard for MH to say something like "we're really happy that Elano is a Manchester City player and that he is enjoying his football. He is clearly a very skillful and talented player and if his performances continue like they are we will no doubt be looking to extend his contract in the future"?

Zzzzz, this has been discussed but here we go again. Elano has two years left on his contract and has played well for the past few weeks and he has started talking up a new contract himself. Hughes has said he has other priorities but also added that Elano has shown recently what a quality player he is. Hughes shouldn't have to pander to Elano's emotional neediness in this instance. I'd love to see Elano stay at City by the way but only if he carries on playing as he has recently and not the sulky disinterested displays of earlier in the season. You could say that Hughes earlier indifference has brought the best out of Elano, in which case 10 out of ten for man management and the message to Elano is carry on working and don't go back to sulking. And we won't fall for emotional blackmail.

Maybe Elano saying publically that he wants a new contract is an indirect way of him saying 'i'm happy at City and things are going in the right direction'?

And thats where we hit trouble, it takes a big man to hold up his hands and say he was wrong.........................Hughes never will, and not just with Elano, in fact on almost anything its hard to see what he`s done right.

1) Motivation........none out of ten
2) Tactics...........only got one and that aint worked all season
3) Team selection.........Darius Vassell as a target man, Benji out wide, ect
4)Subs.........never picked to change a game because they are always like for like
5)Use of subs..........to late and wrong ones most of the time
6)Post match interveiws...........Excuses, excuses,excuses, never his fault

Elano has too much to say for himself 3 good games thats all it is! Why the fuck should he get a new contract? If Fernandez said the same thing every1 on here would go mad, look at Steven Ireland patiently waiting playing well ALL SEASON has he come out asking for more money? NO elano has not yet proved he has what it takes to make it in the premier league lets wait till christmas next year and then evaluate, if he plays from now until then as well as recently then ok but only time will tell!

journolud said:
Zzzzz, this has been discussed but here we go again. Elano has two years left on his contract and has played well for the past few weeks and he has started talking up a new contract himself. Hughes has said he has other priorities but also added that Elano has shown recently what a quality player he is. Hughes shouldn't have to pander to Elano's emotional neediness in this instance. I'd love to see Elano stay at City by the way but only if he carries on playing as he has recently and not the sulky disinterested displays of earlier in the season. You could say that Hughes earlier indifference has brought the best out of Elano, in which case 10 out of ten for man management and the message to Elano is carry on working and don't go back to sulking. And we won't fall for emotional blackmail.

I disagree with you. Good man management stems from knowing how to motivate INDIVIDUALS. If you know what you're doing, you'll know that one style does NOT fit all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.