Bad talents or superior squad?

Fuck that, it's written for utd fans as click bait. I expect they have skewed the stats to make the headline. Sorry but I am ignorant when it comes to sky and their obvious pandering to utd and LFC.

It’s bullshit. Our academy provides more talent than all of the others it’s just they don’t get minutes with us as we have such a strong squad. Most from our academy go on to have a decent career, just not at a club at our level. I think when we were shit we provided more first team players than everyone else (top notch stars like Willo Flood)

Think of it another way albeit quite simplistic, there are 19 other Premier league clubs, say each team has a 24 man squad that is a total of 456 players who could play in the premier league this season.
Now ask yourself how many of these 456 players would you swap with players in our squad in like for like positions? I am struggling to think of 10 players, so if 446 existing premier league players could not get into our squad it gives an indication of how good our academy players would need to be to break through.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-with-academy-minutes-but-man-city-sit-bottom

Foden got some minutes here and there last season and will hopefully get plenty more this season.

But looking at the list from Sky...

Are our squad so good that talent has to be Messilike in order to make it? Or are our kids sadly just not good enough to make it at a top 5 in the World club?
So Harry Kane, Danny Rose, Lingard and Rashford still count as academy for their minutes total?

What a bollocks list that is.

It's quite a crude measure really. A third of their minutes come from Paul Pogba, but I'd hardly call that a successful example of integrating an academy player into the first team. It's also not necessarily particularly a measure of how good an academy is currently. Teams could have a 30 year old who graduated from the youth set up and is a first team player, and that's 3000 minutes straight away, but the academy might not have contributed anyone to the first team for 10 years. And in fact, looking at those stats, it shows that about half of the Premier League clubs have a total number of minutes that's less than what you'd expect one first team regular to play in a season.

It also doesn't take into account other competitions than the Premier League, despite most academy minutes for most teams coming in the cups. Now perhaps that's fair as a measure of how successful teams have been in integrating youth players into the first team, but I'd argue it's slightly less fair if you played a fair number of youth players and still won both cups.

The most important table by a long way is the league table and that is the one I want us to top.
Utd's squad is also skewed by Pogba.

Having said all that so far we haven't been great at developing our own youth talent into our own 1st team talent and denying that is a bit head in the sand. Hopefully this will improve going forward with the likes of Foden, Harwood-Bellis, Doyle and Garcia.

The most important table by a long way is the league table and that is the one I want us to top.
Utd's squad is also skewed by Pogba.

Having said all that so far we haven't been great at developing our own youth talent into our own 1st team talent and denying that is a bit head in the sand. Hopefully this will improve going forward with the likes of Foden, Harwood-Bellis, Doyle and Garcia.
Great point,imagine not being able to produce a conveyor belt of world class kids.Im surprised we even bother with an academy.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.