Ball Boys/Girls

I remember being at Brighton in 89 and City losing 2-1 with seconds to go.... The ball went towards the bloke sat on the sidelines who was responsible for looking after the ball boys. Instead of stopping the ball and handing it to a City player, he back headed it into the crowd to much amusement from the Goldstone Ground faithful.
City fans and City's bench went apeshit!
The bloke was sacked a few days later!

I was a ballboy for all Maine Road matches during March 1981, including the quarter final replay against Everton.
My designated area was between halfway line and corner flag in front of the Kippax at the Platt Lane end of the ground. Tommy Hutch had been involved in the sending off of Kevin Ratcliffe (iirc) in the first match but the scousers thought that he'd made a meal of a headbut so he was not their favourite person.
The ball went out of play near the corner flag so I picked it up and threw it to Tommy so that he could take a throw in just as a big glass lemonade bottle (like the old style Corona bottles) came flying out of the Everton end and landed in between us on the grass.
He casually picked it up, lobbed it behind the advertising boards and told me to stay away from him if we get another throw in.
I didn't need telling twice.

Read an interesting short article a lad did for an online store, a couple of funny things, Dickov under stress, ferguson being a tw@t and Mourinho being.....nice, shock horror!

Anyone ballboyed for City or elsewhere and has any stories to tell?

Article is here: https://theterracestore.com/blogs/news/the-ballboy-on-the-terrace

I remember being at Brighton in 89 and City losing 2-1 with seconds to go.... The ball went towards the bloke sat on the sidelines who was responsible for looking after the ball boys. Instead of stopping the ball and handing it to a City player, he back headed it into the crowd to much amusement from the Goldstone Ground faithful.
City fans and City's bench went apeshit!
The bloke was sacked a few days later!
I was livid when he did that....my banana popped don't know if it was rage or the sunshine belting down on us in the open side stand.

In the early days at the Etihad City seemed to sign on ball boys with little legs that struggled to climb the barriers! ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.