Ballet On Ice

I didn’t miss many games back in them days. What a team, all English 11 with Wythenshawe utility man Dave Connor as sub.

Still remember it though not as vividly. What a game. Remember the story Allison sent someone to buy a roll of carpet to lay from the dressing room to the pitch as he had the top/bottom thin strip of leather on the leather studs taken off so the nail protruded beneath the stud acting like a mini clampon. Dont know if its true but we kept our balance and control much better than Spurs. Who says we have no history!

I was. Oddly enough I only realised it was iconic game when I started lurking on here and realised it was called the ballet on ice.

The two reasons I remember it so distinctly were, it was the first game I was allowed to go to with just my mates and not my elder brothers in tow keeping an eye on me, and seeing Jimmy Greaves live.

I still remember Greaves wearing wearing kecks more or less down to his knees like a throwback from the 50s.

Oh and getting there an hour early so we could get a spot at the Kippax wall. Sadly my hand down clothes weren’t up to the job. :(
I was on the Kippax with school pals, glad to be there despite being frozen as I’d missed a couple of previous home games due to Saturday playing commitments for my school and my Federation teams (can’t believe I used to play 3 games a weekend for years!) I loved Spurs wearing those black socks with the white turnovers, a throwback to the great team of the early 60s. And when Greaves scored after a rebound from an early free kick, I thought it wasn’t going to be our day.. then, as someone else on here said, the magic began to happen and we were on our way to mount a successful challenge for the title.. and going home knowing we’d be on tv that night made it even more special.. Eeee, ‘appy days!

Yep I was there with my Dad and Uncle sat in the old Platt Lane.
I’m sure I heard a story about our players altering their studs to cope with the ice and snowy conditions.
Noticed the old scoreboard as well. Remember the Reserves always got a cheers if they were winning.

Great watching videos like that. Completely different sport nowadays. The tackles for a start - that pitch wouldn't pass for a Sunday league game either.

The atmosphere, the fans staying to clap the team off, the hand shakes. You can understand why a lot of the older generations have fallen out of love with modern football.

Never heard of this game. Will take a look, thanks.

By the way you're all old old codgers! ;)
Oi! Less of the "Old".
I'd just moved to the South West and drove up the M6/M5 at an average 30mph. Got to my dad's in Hulme only to find he'd changed his mind about going; too cold. Called on a neighbour and we walked to M.R. Frozen getting there, frozen during the game, frozen walking home (never been warm since). Fabulous match, couldn't see what all the fuss was about Greaves (not that day anyway).

I was on the Kippax with school pals, glad to be there despite being frozen as I’d missed a couple of previous home games due to Saturday playing commitments for my school and my Federation teams (can’t believe I used to play 3 games a weekend for years!) I loved Spurs wearing those black socks with the white turnovers, a throwback to the great team of the early 60s. And when Greaves scored after a rebound from an early free kick, I thought it wasn’t going to be our day.. then, as someone else on here said, the magic began to happen and we were on our way to mount a successful challenge for the title.. and going home knowing we’d be on tv that night made it even more special.. Eeee, ‘appy days!
Good story mate. It gave me a bit of a buzz whenever I saw the big tv vans there, big time Charlie’s.

Before my time but always loved this game since it was heavily featured on the Bell, Lee and Summerbee video the club produced about 20 years ago. Though I always thought they should have also added Neil Young’s name to the video’s title given his importance to many of our greatest achievements of that time

I was living in Salford at the time and working as an electrician on the flats and housing at the top Cross Street or Lane went to the match with an electrician called Paul froze to death on the benches they called seats in the Plat lane stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.