Ballon d'Or 2023 | Haaland finishes 2nd

Let’s be honest, the commentators were swept away with Messi at the WC, as were some posters on this forum. I for one was honest enough to admit I wasn’t falling for the fawning over side passes etc that Joe Bloggs makes in the Championship but was called out for it because I wasn’t joining in with the rest. I said at the time when Sky sports used to show La Liga I used to watch Messi (and Ronaldo) regularly and be amazed at how brilliant he was at his peak, so it wasn’t like I was denying what a world class player he was. Everyone knows it SHOULD have gone to Haaland for this season’s achievements, maybe a lifetime achievement award is a category that’s needed for players like Messi, Ronaldo, who, let’s face it players that rarely come round every generation let alone two in one generation.
The idea that he needs a lifetime achievement award like he hasn't been sufficiently honoured throughout his career though. He's already won it 7 times, ffs.

Could Argentina win the PL or the CL, let alone both? Probably not. Messi's Barca were a joke in the CL in his last years there. Argentina's defence is too weak to compete in the CL/PL. But it's understandable that winning the WC is considered a greater achievement.
No to mention PSG in the CL. They were humiliated and crashed out in the last 16. Messi got just four goals in the whole campaign (three against the mighty Maccabi Haifa). Messi was booed by his own fans.
Meanwhile Haaland was the leading scorer in the CL with 12 goals during City's unbeaten run to the final beating Seville, Bayern, Real Madrid and Inter Milan to win the trophy. The WC lasts a few weeks and, apart from the final stages, the quality of football is very low. The reality is that most of the so-called journalists who voted in the Ballon d'Or for Messi are either biased or ignorant. Mess is the greatest of all time...but not last season.

Last edited:
Let’s be honest, the commentators were swept away with Messi at the WC, as were some posters on this forum. I for one was honest enough to admit I wasn’t falling for the fawning over side passes etc that Joe Bloggs makes in the Championship but was called out for it because I wasn’t joining in with the rest. I said at the time when Sky sports used to show La Liga I used to watch Messi (and Ronaldo) regularly and be amazed at how brilliant he was at his peak, so it wasn’t like I was denying what a world class player he was. Everyone knows it SHOULD have gone to Haaland for this season’s achievements, maybe a lifetime achievement award is a category that’s needed for players like Messi, Ronaldo, who, let’s face it players that rarely come round every generation let alone two in one generation.

It's a great story and that's what journalists love, so they were always going to be swept away by it. I wouldn't agree he was just playing sideway passes though, he was fucking class in the World Cup. Not as good as in years gone by, but still incredible. He was one goal shy of top scorer thanks to Mbappe's hattrick, but joint for assists and key passes. But he won the World Cup's best player for his performances there and the Ballon D'or should look at the wider picture and ultimately he didn't do enough to win it when compared to Haaland who won the treble and scored the number of goals he did.

R9 won the 2002 Balon D'or after being injured for nearly the whole season at Inter, playing around 10 league games in total, but winning the WC in the summer before moving to Real Madrid. The voting is done after the WC iirc (obviously this time the WC was before the end of season) so it's always fresh in peoples minds. Proves how much of a bollocks award it is, really.

As expected but a joke really. Comments on BBC from other fans sums it up.
Some very soft decisions given to Argentina in the World Cup and they only came alive when they started playing Alverez. And PSG fans turned on him in the farmers league before he retired to USA

Tuned in via TNT for a bit given City centric nominations. Only the French could come up with award ceremony so profoundly shit I felt nauseous watching it. From the rip off of the London Olympic torch journey up the Thames, to the Louis Vuitton cases the awards were delivered in, the ridiculous outfits some of players wore (City lads excluded), to the ticking the woke box by mentioning all the big current issues in football without referring to the venue of the last WC
KdB was spot on swerving it, oh & Messi knows btw he’s not stupid but I expect Inter Miami/MSL/next WC were all contributing factors into the mix.

Last edited:
What criteria are used to vote on players?
The media members receive a list of the finalists to choose from and make their selections from that select group of candidates.

In the past a player's overall career performance was taken into account by the voters. That allowed for a player like Messi to win in 2021 despite having inferior numbers to Lewandowski. The body of work throughout Messi's career helped him stand above even Lewandowski.

Recognizing this flaw in the criteria, France Football made changes, asking voters to take into account the following three aspects for every player:
Individual performance in previous season (no longer by calendar year)
Team success during the previous season
Player behavior and fair play during season in consideration
The stricter parameters should ensure the player who performs at an elite level and helps their team win silverware will earn the recognition they deserve more often than not.

Well they certainly stuck to the rules this time. Not.

It's a great story and that's what journalists love, so they were always going to be swept away by it. I wouldn't agree he was just playing sideway passes though, he was fucking class in the World Cup. Not as good as in years gone by, but still incredible. He was one goal shy of top scorer thanks to Mbappe's hattrick, but joint for assists and key passes. But he won the World Cup's best player for his performances there and the Ballon D'or should look at the wider picture and ultimately he didn't do enough to win it when compared to Haaland who won the treble and scored the number of goals he did.
Basically Messi got the award just for the World Cup final where he scored a penalty. Argentina had an easy group with Saudi Arabia, Mexico, and Poland (they lost to Saudi!). Then they played Australia, a very poor Holland team, Croatia, and France in the final. The quality of football in the WC does not compare to the top end of La Liga, the PL, or the CL. Giving Messi the award this season is absurd.

Basically Messi got the award just for the World Cup final where he scored a penalty. Argentina had an easy group with Saudi Arabia, Mexico, and Poland (they lost to Saudi!). Then they played Australia, a very poor Holland team, Croatia, and France in the final. The quality of football in the WC does not compare to the top end of La Liga, the PL, or the CL. Giving Messi the award this season is absurd.

He got it because of the romance behind the story of him winning the World Cup. We all know it, and I've said it several times. He didn't deserve it. But he played very well in the World Cup, if it was easy to win England might have managed it by now and you can only beat who is in front of you. He was definitely one of the best players in the tournament. And he managed to score two penalties in the final, as well as another in the shootout. That might sound simple but Kane struggled!

It is what it is. I doubt Haaland is that bothered. He won the treble and the Gerd Muller award alongside many others last season so he'll be happy enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.