Ban Video Technology

Jumanji said:
FIFA said video technology would take the controversy out the game and that video technology couldn't be implemented in all the leagues or summat.

There always needs to be something to discuss.

Ridiculous.

Which is exactly why it should not be allowed to be used to issue red cards and review incidents after the fact. As FIFA said, not all matches are broadcast live on television, so they can only take the match report at face value. Just because we are on television often doesn't mean we should be allowed to be punished retrospectively where other's can not be.

interpol said:
Trial by TV is only ever going to be fair if it's applied to all games.
Big games like the Spurs game had multiple camera angles with super slo-mo capabilities.
Also the fact they are broadcast live instantly means any incident that occurs in it is immediately in the public domain and subject to debate in phone-ins, SSN, etc.
The trouble for us is that all our games are live on TV currently. We could do with a few out of the spotlight.
Slightly off tangent here, but we are in the middle of something like a 13 game run on live TV at the moment. That consecutive run of games are going to be more closely scrutinised than before (also happens to be at the same time as our sendings off, unjust decisions etc.)

Part of the difficulty is FIFA, UEFA and the FA are still in the dark ages. They want football games to be controlled in the same way throughout the World from Africa to Outer Mongolia and there is strong resistance against any video technology.

Gary James said:
Football's too big a business to allow errors to be made game after game and not learn from them.
IMO the most important principle is fairness and the more cheating/deliberate foul play is exposed and punished the better. I would favour an extension of the use of video technology, even retrospectively.

I agree we should learn from other sports. We have seen how video technology has transformed Rugby Union to improve the fairness and safety both in play and post match.

The problem with the existing football system is that it is the media, particularly Sky, that seems to highlight and influence whether incidents of foul play are punished retrospectively.The system seems random and inconsistent.

What there needs to be is greater scrutiny of top level matches and an opportunity for clubs to "cite" incidents of severe foul play so the cheats are brought to book.

I agree the introduction of "in play" video technology reviews for contentious decisions, (say goals, penalties and red cards), would also improve the fairness of match outcomes and reduce the effects of incompetent and corrupt decisions.

The other problem is that these incidents are subject to the media outlets own interpretation of what it wants to show. There was an incident last night where Dzeko had a shot from within the box and 2 players went to ground to block it. The way they went down and the way the ball rebounded said to me that it had come off an arm which Dzeko appealed for. The ball subsequently went out of play and a Liverpool substitute was made.

Now, they'd usually show an incident of that sort, either to show the shot or how well the defence had done to block it, especially with a minutes break in play, but no, there was no replay of any sorts to put my instant judgement of the incident to bed which makes me believe even more that it struck an arm/hand.

Notice, these things are becoming more common-place and only go to make me think that if the agenda is set that we're not going to see the full view.

Time for TV replays to come in

Used to be against it as it would only benefit the top levels of the game but with so much at stake nowadays it has to come in. The standard of refereeing is terrible.

It works in Cricket and Tennis, why not football?

Re: Time for TV replays to come in

I agree, although there has to be a time limit on how long the replay/video ref has to make a decision so we aren't left twiddling our thumbs. Captains should also have a small amount of challenges to decisions per game they can make, maybe 1 per half or 3 per game, something like that.

It feels awful to lose not on merit but because these idiots in charge are changing games with their faulty decisions (Chelsea, Sunderland, Munich to name three), no complaints when we actually lose because we just weren't good enough (Napoli away, they 100% deserved the win) but that hasn't been the norm with our defeats this season.

Think we could still be in all three cup competitions we're out of if there was video technology or at least two as the video referee might have sent Kompany off anyway against the scum.

Re: Time for TV replays to come in

WNRH said:
Used to be against it as it would only benefit the top levels of the game but with so much at stake nowadays it has to come in. The standard of refereeing is terrible.

It works in Cricket and Tennis, why not football?
You are right it would only be used for certain "top level" games.
Rugby Union is the most similar sport where it has been successfully introduced.
I would be surprised if the PL have the authority to introduce measures without FA/UEFA/FIFA consents?
Possibly if they set up a new European Club Super League in the future they will introduce it then?

Jumanji said:
FIFA said video technology would take the controversy out the game and that video technology couldn't be implemented in all the leagues or summat.

There always needs to be something to discuss.

Ridiculous.

The only controversy in any game is due to their incompetant officials seeing as the buck stops with them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.