Bands you discovered as support acts

On that subject, although I'd already discovered the late great Tom Petty by then, I went to see Bob Dylan at the NEC back in the late 1980's. First on was Roger McGuinn backed by TP & the Heartbreakers, doing old Byrds songs. Followed by TP & the Heartbreakers doing their own stuff. Followed by Dylan backed by TP & the Heartbreakers. What a gig that was and Tom & the boys really earned their money that night. Like you, I've loved Petty's music to this day. I was gutted when he passed away.
I was at that gig ,Dylan was awful TP saved the show!

I was there too......
*Glances over at 80's framed ticket collection*
Sunday 11th October but the year says 8 and the other half was on the tear off side given up on entry..... I'd say 87 or 88

Edit: just googled it and it was 87
Yep, that's the one ! Mrs Bill & I had been seeing each other for only a few months and she bought the tickets as a present.

Wilko Johnson at Salford University Oct 1978. This was 18 months after he left Dr Feelgood. Paul Jones Blues Band were the main act.

Last edited:
The James Gang supporting The Who at The Free Trade Hall in 1970 (£1 the ticket was), the guitarist was legend to be Joe Walsh who is still brilliant as witnessed last month when I saw him with The Eagles, who I saw supporting Neil Young at the Palace in 1973.

Two for the price of one there nicely merging into one :)

Blackfoot supporting the Scorpions in 1980.
Grand Prix (who?) supporting Sammy Hagar in 1982.
Bon Jovi supporting Kiss in 1984.

Also, a couple that others have already mentioned. And some I've probably forgotten about because of drugs...

Blackfoot supporting the Scorpions in 1980.
Grand Prix (who?) supporting Sammy Hagar in 1982.
Bon Jovi supporting Kiss in 1984.

Also, a couple that others have already mentioned. And some I've probably forgotten about because of drugs...
Grand Prix had Bernie Shaw on vocals, now with Uriah Heep, and since the 80s right up to the present they have released a stream of great albums. Heep that is not Grand Prix

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.