Bats

tenor.gif

I remember getting out of my tent in Queensland one morning, looking up and seeing the tree full of fruit bats, all staring down at me, a little unnerving. I think there's still some batshit on the tent twenty years later

I definitely sonar respond to them in a different light now.
Always loved the bats section of Chester Zoo. Some whoppers there though. There was a woman in front of me almost in tears as they were so close. I confidently calmed her down after telling her how good their sonar is and how they'd never actually collide with anyone...just as a giant one collided into the back of her head then shat on her. Wonderful experience.

well you got me with that one.

9.30, give or take, every night we have one fly past our lounge window and do his nocturnal thing....except last night I watched him for about an hour flying over the pond and back to the lounge window. It was joined by another one.....Brilliant little creatures and so fascinating to watch. We had loads when we lived on a major road is Sale, flying up and down the road along the trees, there are more about than people think.

where we lived in Panama is the worlds centre for vampire bats, apparently they will bite humans but only between the toes,I kid you not. mrs jules would wear socks to bed every night just in case.I am not scared of bats but they do carry rabies and that is a death sentence. we did have a bat in the house one evening, no idea how it got in as we were always careful about leaving doors open as the local wildlife would visit

We had a maternity roost living in our garage last summer. I could hear them chittering away and for a while I thought some small birds had become trapped inside. Then a few evenings later I saw them come flying out of a hole in the garage in almost paratrooper fashion all dropping out after each other. They will reduce local insect population.

They left of their own accord around August time. I found a dead one behind the garage and found one stunned at the front of the garage, apparently their senses are significantly dulled during daylight so I made it a makeshift shelter with a hole to fly out of once dusk came. In hindsight I should have just eaten the bastard, started COVID a year early and we would all be back to normal by now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.