Bayern Munich (N) - Pre-Season Friendly | Post-Match Thread

I agree 120%.

Constantly telling me what I can see with my own eyes...

I wonder if his commentary is used for sound only programmes too which would explain it.

I have to turn the sound off most of the time.

JJ
Yeah he does do it for audio only commentary too I think but even do he should tone it down a bit. Ad nice a bloke as he is there is too much mundane drivel for my liking

skysports-walker-kyle-man-city_6227866.jpg

The two pre-season games have provided much food for thought, especially regarding who's leaving & arriving.

Over all we performed as expected over both matches, & regardless of what people say about friendlies, I hate it when City lose, so two wins so far was welcomed!

Focusing on players rather than team performances:

Bobb - McAtee - Palmer:
I thought Palmer, McAtee & Bobb showed some nice flashes, but none showed they were ready to step up in a meaningful way for next season. Palmer needs a full PL season on loan at a club with no pressure for trophies, as he made little impact when given his chances last season, hence why he played so little.

Perhaps Bobb & McAtee should be afforded the opportunity to impress as Palmer had, but I'm not relying on either to contribute massively. Let them remain, but temper our expectations.

Perrone:
Perrone on the other hand seriously impressed me with the few minutes he was given. You can see there's a quality player in there & I'd love to see him being given a half against Atletico. I've seen him 3-4 times now & he's deffo one to keep & develop, as he has HUGE potential!

Lewis:
I've made no secret that Lewis is one of my favourite players at City, & the high expectations I have for him. He's supposedly a RB, but he's played the inverted FB role from both sides of defence, LB, double pivot & as a No 8.

Folks, we've got a Made in Manchester version of Lahm & Kimmich, & I don't say this lightly! Lewis has excelled in every position he's been asked to play in both the PL & CL at such a young age, & is BY FAR our most promising homegrown talent since the emergence of Phil Foden.

Philips:
Philips has evidently pressed the reset button on his City Career. He's starting from fresh without injury & with the benefit of a year under Pep. There were no fireworks as such, but he's given two steady performances which is promising.

Philips > Rodri:
The huge difference between Philips & Rodri is Rodri's ability to make progressive passes. So far, Philips has been more of a recycler. Not making many attempted forward passes, but with him not taking any chances, it stunts our buildup play in a way playing Rodri doesn't.

The comparison in unfair, because Rodders is by far & away the elite CDM in world football today. Interestingly, Philips claimed his best career season to date was Leeds' last promotion winning one. He played as a No 8 & scored 8 goals, which leads me onto my next player.

Kovacic:
Kovacic is a player Pep's admired & wanted for the last ten years. He maybe in his late 20s, but both player & manager are finally united. However, it's unclear what position Kova was bought to play. Personally I always thought he'd be best as backup/competition to Rodri, but what to do with Philips?

With this said, it was interesting to see Philips play more as a No 8, dropping in as a double pivot when necessary & Kova playing as a deep lying creative No 6. We've got some serious options here! Hopefully as Philips' confidence rises & he starts to contribute more to our forward play, we'll have two players in him & Kova who can cover Rodders & offer something further forward in midfield too.

Cancelo:
Albeit it pains me to say so, Cancelo's been pretty impressive so far. I still want him gone, but if he has to remain & can lose his attitude, I suppose we'll all begrudgingly swallow his presence. \0/

The Rest of the Squad:
As for the rest, they've performed as expected during pre-season. A little rusty at times, but you can see they're fit & ready for business once the season kicks off.

Transfers:
As for incomings & outgoings, I can't see much movement outside of Gvardiol, & even then it depends on the futures of Cancelo, Walker, Bernardo & Laporte. With Mahrez all but gone, outside of Bernardo & Foden, I can't see us having an effective replacement for Riyad without going into the market.

Mahrez Replacement:
Palmer & Bobb aren't ready for a season at this level, & what we'll gain from Foden & Bernardo out wide, we'll lose centrally. It's not an impossibility not to replace Mahrez, but it's something I'd seriously prefer we do.

KDB:
Surprisingly KDB is reportedly close to fitness, albeit not match fit which is a boon. However I can see his game time being managed next season, as several times throughout last season he was blowing fumes after 60+ minutes.

The Season Ahead:
This season's gonna be tougher than last mithinks, with an expected resurgent Dippers & Chavs added to the mix. Alongside a strong Arse & an improving ManUre; when you include the chasing pack of Newcastle, Villa, Spuds & Brighton, we can't afford to rest on our treble laurels & need to hit the ground running.

Having said that, our main challengers & the chasing pack have as much to worry about City, as we do them. I didn't quite realise the strength of our squad until the halftime changes against Bayern. Our kids looked better than theirs, & whilst they had 3 players missing, we were missing KDB, Mahrez & Gundog from last years' team & still didn't really get out of second gear, which bodes well.

Roll on EPL Season 2023 - 2024! )(

I agree 120%.

Constantly telling me what I can see with my own eyes...

I wonder if his commentary is used for sound only programmes too which would explain it.

I have to turn the sound off most of the time.

JJ
His commentary doubles up for radio too, where he has to be extra descriptive to paint a picture the listeners can't see.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.