Becoming a referee

Manchestercitychorlton said:
maybe i should move up there then haha. Massages and meals?! The best you get at the academies here is some biscuits and tea.
Ran the line for a supply league game yesterday £35. Sunday morning pub teams this morning £25. Under 16's County Cup this afternoon £40. 1 caution in 3 games, happy days.

I got 30 quid from crewe last season on the line, inc expenses and post match buffet!
First red card of the season today for an absolute haymaker of a punch, broke the guys jaw in three places and I'm going to have to give the police a statement!
Happy days! And it was such a good game as well

Nice to see a few refs on here - I am 4 games into the 6 I need to do by mid December (will probably have done at least 10 by then) and am absolutely loving it! I'm with North Riding FA, have done 3 juniors and 1 open age so far, got plenty of both lined up for November too, including running the line.

I think we must get the raw deal as far as match fees go - £12-£16 plus expenses for me so far, not that I do it purely for the cash (it's an easy way to save for holidays etc)

I decided to do it as I haven't played for a few years and wanted to get back into footy since moving over here.

Had a bit of stick but it's water off a duck's back - as long as you can be deaf to those you need to ignore e.g. parents and set the mark with the players as to what will be tolerated, I think it goes OK.

Good luck to those who are thinking of doing it!

noodlebob said:
Nice to see a few refs on here - I am 4 games into the 6 I need to do by mid December (will probably have done at least 10 by then) and am absolutely loving it! I'm with North Riding FA, have done 3 juniors and 1 open age so far, got plenty of both lined up for November too, including running the line.

I think we must get the raw deal as far as match fees go - £12-£16 plus expenses for me so far, not that I do it purely for the cash (it's an easy way to save for holidays etc)

I decided to do it as I haven't played for a few years and wanted to get back into footy since moving over here.

Had a bit of stick but it's water off a duck's back - as long as you can be deaf to those you need to ignore e.g. parents and set the mark with the players as to what will be tolerated, I think it goes OK.

Good luck to those who are thinking of doing it!

I'm in north riding too mate!

good luck, let me know if you're coming along to any ref association meetings, every second thrusday of the month (so a week on thursday for novemebr) at york city fc

Some really good posts on here!

I reffed in the Levenshulme & District Sunday league many years back - and loved it!

The kids tended to be fine (I started at 16 and was reffing age groups up to a year below my age), but (some of) the parents were absolute wankers!

It's pretty shite too when you ask the managers to run a line for you - they're basically shite so you end up doing it yourself anyway, which is fun!

Can't remember the fees back then, but you also could claim for travelling expenses.

Got to run a line (oo-er missus) for Neil Midgely once in a Manchester FA Cup Final - it's the only trophy I ever got (was a shite player)! He was brilliant - a top bloke.

To those doing it - keep it up. Those thinking about it - just do it!!

mcfc2112 said:

I reffed in the Levenshulme & District Sunday league many years back - and loved it!

The kids tended to be fine (I started at 16 and was reffing age groups up to a year below my age), but (some of) the parents were absolute wankers!

It's pretty shite too when you ask the managers to run a line for you - they're basically shite so you end up doing it yourself anyway, which is fun!

Can't remember the fees back then, but you also could claim for travelling expenses.

Got to run a line (oo-er missus) for Neil Midgely once in a Manchester FA Cup Final - it's the only trophy I ever got (was a shite player)! He was brilliant - a top bloke.

And the referees shall inherit the earth......?

Today's MUEN.

C_71_article_1463552_image_list_image_list_item_2_image.jpg

James Johnson, 19, a student at Manchester University, needed six stitches to a wound over his eye after he was attacked as he refereed a match between Waldorf and Woodsend Athletic in the Manchester Sunday Amateur League at Turn Moss playing fields in Chorlton.

<a class="postlink" href="http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1463552_referee-kicked-in-the-head-after-he-sent-off-footballer-at-chorlton-sunday-league-match" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... ague-match</a>

A football referee suffered serious injuries when he was kicked in the head after sending off a player.

James Johnson, 19, needed six stitches to a wound above his eye.

Police have launched an investigation and arrested a 21-year-old man.

James, a student at Manchester University, was refereeing a match between Waldorf and Woodsend Athletic in the Manchester Sunday Amateur League at Turn Moss playing fields in Chorlton.

It is understood he was assaulted after issuing a red card to a player for using foul and abusive language.

The suspect’s team has been suspended from playing further fixtures pending an investigation.

James said: “ I was unconscious for a while.

“There was blood everywhere and I thought I had been blinded as I could not see through one eye – it was terrifying.”

James, who is studying politics and history, added: “It was my sixth match refereeing in that league.

“I also do matches at university. I enjoy football and refereeing – this will not put me off.”

James has now been referred from Trafford General to Manchester Eye Hospital because he still has incomplete vision in his eye.

Colin Bridgford, chief executive of the Manchester FA, visited James in hospital.

He said that violence on the football pitch was ‘appalling and unacceptable’ and called for central player registration to help stop it. Tony Henderson, referees’ secretary for the league said: “The player has had his registration withdrawn and all of his team's fixtures have been suspended for the time being until a full investigation is made.”

Mr Henderson, who is also vice-chairman of the league, was refereeing another match nearby when the incident happened.

He said: “Everyone was in a state of shock.”

Police said the 21-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and has been bailed until later this month pending further inquiries.

Stuart said:
Today's MUEN.

C_71_article_1463552_image_list_image_list_item_2_image.jpg

James Johnson, 19, a student at Manchester University, needed six stitches to a wound over his eye after he was attacked as he refereed a match between Waldorf and Woodsend Athletic in the Manchester Sunday Amateur League at Turn Moss playing fields in Chorlton.

<a class="postlink" href="http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1463552_referee-kicked-in-the-head-after-he-sent-off-footballer-at-chorlton-sunday-league-match" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... ague-match</a>

A football referee suffered serious injuries when he was kicked in the head after sending off a player.

James Johnson, 19, needed six stitches to a wound above his eye.

Police have launched an investigation and arrested a 21-year-old man.

James, a student at Manchester University, was refereeing a match between Waldorf and Woodsend Athletic in the Manchester Sunday Amateur League at Turn Moss playing fields in Chorlton.

It is understood he was assaulted after issuing a red card to a player for using foul and abusive language.

The suspect’s team has been suspended from playing further fixtures pending an investigation.

James said: “ I was unconscious for a while.

“There was blood everywhere and I thought I had been blinded as I could not see through one eye – it was terrifying.”

James, who is studying politics and history, added: “It was my sixth match refereeing in that league.

“I also do matches at university. I enjoy football and refereeing – this will not put me off.”

James has now been referred from Trafford General to Manchester Eye Hospital because he still has incomplete vision in his eye.

Colin Bridgford, chief executive of the Manchester FA, visited James in hospital.

He said that violence on the football pitch was ‘appalling and unacceptable’ and called for central player registration to help stop it. Tony Henderson, referees’ secretary for the league said: “The player has had his registration withdrawn and all of his team's fixtures have been suspended for the time being until a full investigation is made.”

Mr Henderson, who is also vice-chairman of the league, was refereeing another match nearby when the incident happened.

He said: “Everyone was in a state of shock.”

Police said the 21-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and has been bailed until later this month pending further inquiries.

i saw worse at the weekened - player on player tho

thankfully all i've suffered is verbal abuse, never anything physical, yet

FanchesterCity said:
mcfc2112 said:

And the referees shall inherit the earth......?

...and if the ground's waterlogged, you have to indulge in Moving Pitches...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.