Belgium and Dutch leagues to form new league??

Belgian Pro League clubs have given their unanimous support to a proposed merger with the Dutch Eredivisie.

The BeNeLeague would combine the eighteen best clubs from the two leagues into one competition.

The idea was first made public in 2019 by Club Bruges owner Bart Verhaeghe, who wants to see top clubs from Belgium and the Netherlands challenging in Europe on a consistent basis.
It’s about time

Brilliant idea. I’ve said this with my mate in the past. I’d go further and merge quite a few leagues. It would really up the strength and the funding for the teams.

I would also merge in Luxembourg with Holland and Belgium.

I’d join Austria and Switzerland.
Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Iceland.
Denmark, Sweden and Norway.
Merge the former Soviet states
Merge the former Yugoslav states
Czech, Slovakia and Poland
Greece and Cyprus
Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania

some would be easier than others and some may not be able to because of politics but wher possible it should be being looked at.

Would make European competitions much stronger as well.

I think it's a great idea. The Eridivisie has slipped recently but the Belgian league is surprisingly decent of late, merging the two together will make the more competitive.

I think it's a great idea. The Eridivisie has slipped recently but the Belgian league is surprisingly decent of
Be interesting how it works out re: qualification for European competitions.
I assume the Dutch and Belgian leagues have a quota. If the Dutch teams end up in the 1st 6 positions you might have a situation where you have no Belgian teams qualifying.

wasn't this muted years ago and including the teams from Scotland and Portugal. The Atlantic League

Much needed change for both leagues and countries. Not sure how it works out for qualifying for CL and EL, but that will be one of a few arrangements that need to be made.

They'll have four (?) places between them in the European Confrence League so that should help placate some clubs that miss out on the Champions and Thursday leagues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.