Benjamin Mendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note, Monaco clearly have an excellent scouting network and are moving in the market equally efficiently as we seem to be.
Indeed and I believe they have some sort of partnership with Benfica. Also saw a rumor(on twitter) that we might be sending some kids their way on loan after all these deals. Plus if he gets his chance our old Rony might fill Bernardo's old spot.

What do you mean by being good at defending? It's pretty broad. He seems good at 1v1, he makes a lot of interceptions and he's physical enough to not get bullied.

his positioning is the area that seems to need work but he's going to be coached by a guy who is obsessed with positional play so I assume he will improve there.
It's a broad question, but defending is a broad art! Pep always says we attack in small spaces and defend big spaces, so I guess defending when exposed 1 v 1 is an essential quality that all our defenders need. Incidentally, it's one of Stones' greatest weaknesses which is why I don't have him down as being one of our first choice centrebacks (he drops off and off until the ball is in our net). So if he's good 1 v 1, that's encouraging. His height and aerial prowess is a big plus too. I think we also need defenders that are aggressive and prepared to press and intercept the ball high and early. So if he can do that too then that's smashing :)

Looking at the table 4th worse defence in league so it cant be all that bad and if we have signed a good LB, RB Keeper and CB surely to god we should do better next season.

Him & Walker would add pace & height to our fullbacks (as would Fabinho if he's on the cards). Height was something I was always happy to see Kolarov for, the amount of times his height helped defending at the back post where Clichy got killed in the air was one of his few aspects I appreciated. No idea how good Mendy is in the air, but he should be big & strong enough to help protect that situation we often seemed vulnerable in.

It's a broad question, but defending is a broad art! Pep always says we attack in small spaces and defend big spaces, so I guess defending when exposed 1 v 1 is an essential quality that all our defenders need. Incidentally, it's one of Stones' greatest weaknesses which is why I don't have him down as being one of our first choice centrebacks (he drops off and off until the ball is in our net). So if he's good 1 v 1, that's encouraging. His height and aerial prowess is a big plus too. I think we also need defenders that are aggressive and prepared to press and intercept the ball high and early. So if he can do that too then that's smashing :)

He seems to be good at pressing.

Bernardo Silva is as well, I saw whoscored tweet yesterday that no one in Ligue 1 won the ball back in the opposition half more than Silva - Jardim was big on pressing and winning the ball back quickly and everyone we buy from Monaco will be good at that aspect of the game.

I agree with Stones but I think it's something that will he will get over. There's an indecisiveness to him at the moment 1v1 but it's fixable - in fact maybe knowing there's a pair of fullbacks quick enough to cover across might make him more likely to commit to a challenge earlier.

Him & Walker would add pace & height to our fullbacks (as would Fabinho if he's on the cards). Height was something I was always happy to see Kolarov for, the amount of times his height helped defending at the back post where Clichy got killed in the air was one of his few aspects I appreciated. No idea how good Mendy is in the air, but he should be big & strong enough to help protect that situation we often seemed vulnerable in.

Mendy very good in the air. 6'1 and a good spring. Great recovery pace too, if he gets beat initially. Also delivers a great cross. Good video below, focuses on his aerial ability for the last minute or so

Last edited:
He seems to be good at pressing.

Bernardo Silva is as well, I saw whoscored tweet yesterday that no one in Ligue 1 won the ball back in the opposition half more than Silva - Jardim was big on pressing and winning the ball back quickly and everyone we buy from Monaco will be good at that aspect of the game.

I agree with Stones but I think it's something that will he will get over. There's an indecisiveness to him at the moment 1v1 but it's fixable - in fact maybe knowing there's a pair of fullbacks quick enough to cover across might make him more likely to commit to a challenge earlier.
Sounds very positive then. Our press should be at a high level next season and any signings that enhance that aspect of our game are good ones. If we can, on average, regain possession slightly faster and higher up the pitch, it will translate into more chances and more goals. If we can get Mendy, Walker and Fabinho over the line, we'd look quite formidable I reckon.

Yep. We would have a tall and powerful defence if we add those 3. And still a very fast back-line. Which is obviously a good thing. Especially since we don't have that much height in our attack.

Sane and Kevin are the only ones with some height in our attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.