Bernardo Silva - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with Eddie, our best acquisition last summer. Great addition to the team and seems to be a very popular member of the squad.

He has everything that’s needed to become one of the worlds best central midfielders imo.
Phenomenal talent.

His first season is quite reminiscent of his namesake with the slowish start and him developing into one of our most important players.

He seems like a genuinely decent happy go lucky bloke too lovely stuff.

(For transparency I slagged him when he played for Monaco, but that was because I was bitter that he'd spent two games nutmegging all our players!)

He was brought in to be Silva's successor? Oh did Pep tell you that? Or was it one of the Silva's themselves?

Actually, I'd argue the absolute rubbish you just regurgitated is "the greatest lie ever told" about Bernardo, because he didn't play centrally in a number 10 position or the equivalent of Silva or De Bruyne's role, and you've actually then argued against something I never said.

I didn't say he did. I said he played on the right.

Yes, he and Lemar were not out and out wingers, and yes, the fullbacks overlapped, that is not the same as playign centrally. He played in the half space on the right, not centrally, and there's a massive difference between the two.

Here are the heatmaps for his last games for Monaco.

All of them are overwhelmingly dominated by touches of the ball wide on the right. Not quite as wide as he is here, and he roamed more, but they're not the heat maps of a central number 10, because that's not where he played.

He was on the right, coming into that half space between the opposition CB and LB, exactly the spaces he attacks for us, albeit from a wider starting spot.

Bollocks again...he has been excellent in several games and one of the players on the ball the most in those games.

That's not what Pep has had him do at all...he's played on the right but he's had a very different role to Sterling when he's been out there.

He might well end up replacing Dave in a few years but so far, Guardiola has shown no intention of putting him in that role, with David Silva missing 15-odd games this season, and Bernardo replacing him in exactly zero of those games, instead staying on the bench or out wide while Gundogan played in David Silva's place.

His actions speak for themselves, and he's not on the verge of switching Bernardo into one of those #8 roles even as back up, and he definitely doesn't need to move there to play well, he's been excellent on the right, and he'll continue to get better next season, left, right or central.

When we signed him our most reliable reporters were saying that Pep viewed him as davids successsor and to play in the middle. Pep also said that next year Silva will play much less games which means Bernardo will likely get to play in the 8 where he was brought to play . Also if pep was so happy with Bernardo in the wing why does he want to sign someone more similar to Sterling or sane ?

Pep also said that next year Silva will play much less games which means Bernardo will likely get to play in the 8 where he was brought to play .

Got a source for that? I remember him saying David would play less, not that Bernardo would play there. You seem to have added 2+2 to get 5 again. Given he's used Gundogan over Bernardo every single time David has gone back to Valencia this season, he's probably going to do the same again if merlin has to play fewer games because of his age.

And I imagine he's targetting another forward because we need someone who can play on the left so it's not always Sané.

Again. I'd be more than happy to see him move in there, but people are getting way ahead of themselves thinking that he's about to switch into the middle when Guardiola's shown no interest in it so far, and the notion that he's basically treading water - or can't be a great player like the original commenter I replied to said - until he moves inside is ridiculous.

Last edited:
If we go back to the 4-4-2 Diamond that we worked earlier in the season briefly (I suspect we might occasionally) then I'd be happy to see Bernardo sit at the top of the diamond.

But right now I think he's lacking a bit in the positional sense to play in the D. Silva role and be at his most effective. Although that could change as he gets older and more experienced of course.

Right now I'd rather have him higher up the pitch, where his talent can really shine. If we have two marauding full backs (Mendy + another) then he can actually play a bit more akin to his Monaco role, or the role David Silva had under Mancini.

He a fantastic winger I don't understand why people continue to crowbar him into CM when there's absolutely no evidence he'll play there in the near future. Pep hasn't played him there despite countless opportunities to do so. B.Silva will continue to grow and thrive on the wing and Foden will grow into the team in Dave's position behind Gundogan. Could also see Dinho playing more games as he did vs Brighton once we have a new CDM, particularly against the likes of Liverpool.

When we signed him our most reliable reporters were saying that Pep viewed him as davids successsor and to play in the middle. Pep also said that next year Silva will play much less games which means Bernardo will likely get to play in the 8 where he was brought to play . Also if pep was so happy with Bernardo in the wing why does he want to sign someone more similar to Sterling or sane ?

Good point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.