Bernardo Silva - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Pep is moulding Bernardo into a 8, it will take some time. Playing as a winger is miles easier in tactical sense as you're always shielded by the touchline and don't need to constantly assess the situation around. The ways of dismarking also differ a lot and are more difficult, require more awareness. In his first game as 8 Bernardo looked like a rabbit in the headlights and showed almost zero productivity, he still thinks like a counterattacking player, struggles to create space in the middle for himself and teammates. No surprise that all our possession play went tits up after Gundo's injury.

Think moulding into a perfect 8 could take a season, thankfully he's quite versatile - performing as an inside forward/winger will allow to get more minutes and ease the integration a bit.

I kind of struggled to see how he was going to fit into the squad on a regular basis going into the season because I don't see him playing wide in a front three like a lot of folks seemed to be slotting him into. I have a personal bias against slow creative players in that position and I was fairly sure that Pep didn't want him playing there regularly either. He's perfect playing wide in a traditional old school 4-4-2 / counter attacking system like you pointed out. I prefer direct, strong, pacey wingers and Pep does as well I think so if anything he's more of a fallback there. We already have enough finesse in the squad as. A front three of Raz/Aguero/Silva would have me pretty anxious tbh but different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm not saying he can't or wont play there but I don't see it as ideal for how we want to play.

He'll be perfectly fine in the long term and I'm not worried about him but I think he's kind of caught in no man's land for the time being.

So I think you're right about him being molded into an 8 and personally I'm ex-tactic about that.

Edit: Hey @Dax777 interested to get your take here. Don't/didn't you see him as a forward? Think I'm off base with this one?

Last edited:
I knew from day one that Bernardo will be playing centrally to replace Dave. As Dave fades away, Bernardo’s influence will come through. Just have to be patient. He will come good I’m sure of it. Not easy to replace Dave.

One of the few who will start both qualifiers for their team and tonight's being a huge one as Portugal needs a win if they don't want to the playoffs. So I'm assuming business as usual and David and KdB against Stoke as both only had to play one game.

He was superb against Switzerland. Best player in the two teams. Soon he will become an outstanding player for City.

He was superb against Switzerland. Best player in the two teams. Soon he will become an outstanding player for City.
Agree. He was outstanding and must be very close to starting on the weekend against Stoke, unless Pep holds him back for the Napoli game.

Again few seem to forget BS only played a handfull of games for us so far, still getting used to life in England and at City with new teammates, a new manager, new style(s) of play etc. I think his start and the minutes he played so far has been really good. His role in the team so far are various and none compared to what he was used to at Monaco. Pep likes to give mainly the versatile players a role that differs depending on the opponent and the various systems that he plays during matches. You simply can't say a player is an 8, or a 10 other than his position in the starting line-up on paper.
Btw, yesterday playing for Portugal it was obvious again what a great player we have in BS. I can understand why Ronaldo thinks BS is the best Portugese player he has ever played with.

What an outstanding footballer this lad is superb for Portugal last night,can't wait until he takes over Dav's throne in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.