#20 | Bernardo Silva - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great effort by Bernie. Always presented for the ball.
Personally don't think Bernie is anywhere near where he was, before the Mendy furore. Think it's still hitting his confidence and attacking threat.
His passing, especially 2nd half, was accurate but predominantly sideways or backwards. Today, thought he played in a Gundogan style, rather in his own manner. Probably, Pep doesn't trust him pushing forward too much and leaving Rodri (who was superb today) as the sole defending midfielder...

Personally don't think Bernie is anywhere near where he was, before the Mendy furore. Think it's still hitting his confidence and attacking threat.
His passing, especially 2nd half, was accurate but predominantly sideways or backwards. Today, thought he played in a Gundogan style, rather in his own manner. Probably, Pep doesn't trust him pushing forward too much and leaving Rodri (who was superb today) as the sole defending midfielder...
Perhaps that was his job today

Perhaps that was his job today
You may be right.
Got away with it today as Sheff Utd did not counter attack quickly and not too bold when they had the ball.
Think Bernie is far more mobile than Gundo, so is my preference to play the 2nd defensive midfielder more this season - as Pep seems to favour this twin cover for the defence...

A shadow of his former self. To me it's depressing watching him.
Disagree entirely with this. I think it’s just a case of him having a different role in the side now, were asking him to control games more than being the creator, it might not be as eye catching but his energy is certainly of huge importance to us. Good game from him today.

Disagree entirely with this. I think it’s just a case of him having a different role in the side now, were asking him to control games more than being the creator, it might not be as eye catching but his energy is certainly of huge importance to us. Good game from him today.
I think its the role too.

Can't remember who said this, but someone mentioned the reason Pep doesn't play Foden and KdB is that they're too similar in wanting to progress the ball and create something.

And when both of the 10's want to do this then we lose rhythm and control in midfield and the game becomes end-to-end regularly which Pep doesn't like.

Bernie has to play more of a controlling role like David did, and what Pep asks Gundogan to do. So a hybrid 8/10 role in the truest sense.

That being said, he does need to improve in creating chances like to what David offered, at the very least I am more comfortable with him as a finisher over David (who was always reluctant), Gundogan shoots well too.

His game began to take a new dimension when he pushed forward to outside right shortly before Mahrez (who I thought was piss poor) was taken off.

Towards the closing minutes, the strategy was to wind the game down else we would have seen a lot more from him.

I wouldn't mind trying him there again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.