Bernardo Silva charged with misconduct by FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opinion on whether or not it's racist is highly debatable and we're seeing those debates being played out across the board. The point is, as a public figure under heavy media attention, why does Bernardo willing have the need to post something like this, in public view, to millions of people? He was only asking for trouble, there was no need for it.

There are, at very least, deep historical connotations and meanings behind such images and stereotypes. I'm not totally condemning Bernardo for it and I don't think it makes him a racist, he just seems to be possibly uneducated about it. Educate him instead, show him why it's best not to be doing it. He is a person of influence with a huge global reach. No one gives two hoots if Joe Bloggs down the street posts the same thing.

If this is just banter between him and Mendy, then kept it to those confines like anyone else in the world would. I get this type of banter between friends of different colours and cultures, it happens everywhere and should not be deemed racist. As soon as you post it online, it's no longer just between him and Mendy - it's open to the whole world. It was Bernardo himself who made the choice to do that at the end of the day.

Mate, I've said you've said a shit load of times, but the adamant remain adamant that there is not a problem with image in a public space.

It's a gobsmacking thing to witness, but I'm getting used to it.

I'm not sure where the disagreement comes from.

Posting your mate's photo next to some random black character to millions, who looks nothing like your mate, is pretty clear to me to be borderline or mildly racist. Benjamin Mendy does not bear any resemblance to that confectionary character, apart from both being black.

Check out this tweet from Mendy himself last year:

Now that to the eye is a close look alike of Mendy - not some random cartoon blob that Bernardo posted seemingly because it was native to him and happens to be black. That is the act that is unacceptable because it has historical meanings and connotations, racist ones, regardless of intent.

It's absolutely amazing that this distinction is apparently difficult for some to understand. I'm assuming it's willful ignorance, nothing else makes sense.

Funny thing when I saw it , I thought it does look abit like Mendy. Didnt enter my head it was racist. But I guess everything can be seen as racist if you want it to. If a coloured person posted a white cartoon character picture of someone who looks like me is racist. As I thought it looked abit like Mendy does that make me a racist ?

Serious question is being called a manc racist ?

You... you can't be serious. Honestly.

Man, I gave it to Dippers supporters deluxe over the whole Suarez and Evra saga, given the way they and their club embarrassed themselves by vehemently denying any wrong doing in that incident.

Although this situation isn't as bad, geez it's hard not to be disappointed with some of ours fans and club. Really thought that collectively, as people as much as anything, we were better than this. Doesn't seem that we are.

and by 'keeping it to yourself' implies it was racist and therefore needs to be hidden, it was a joke between mates, there was no need to hide anything. I am waiting for the do gooders to come out with the line that Mendy was offended but too scared to say anything so just accepts it line.

Please, please don't be thick!

Mendy is not the only Black man on twatter.

Publicly, if you're comparing Mendy, you're going to offend other/ Black people who may feel it was an unnecessary thing to witness.

It's getting a bit tiresome to ask people to step outside of themselves and think expansively.

Racial banter all you like between mates, but don't go online/ public as other people will comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.