Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You stay where you are you are a friend of bluemoon

@peace frog

Thanks mate.

I understand that I'm a guest on this site, and as such, I can't behave as if I'm in my own house, but my views are my views and I have tried my best to be as cordial and civil as possible on what is undoubtedly a very emotive subject.[/QUOTE]

I made my point. I didn’t ask you to leave. I don’t see anybody being uncivil. Also, the very point of what I’m driving at that it isn’t an emotive subject. Racism is an important issue that needs to be discussed, not buried. There is genuine racism, in all its forms and it’s very ugly. Unfortunately, accusations of racism have been weaponised by all sorts of groups, not least in the Brexit debacle whereby some politicians would have you believe that 17.4 million people are racist.

Don’t leave on my account. You made your point, I made mine. You think it’s racist, I think it’s a fuss over nothing. It would be great if all we had to worry about was Bernardo Silva’s Twitter account.

Mate you were shoving this tweet in a black guy’s face and demanding to know if it was racist. Loons is a subjective term.

Shoving
You’re inflaming the situation - which is what easily offended people do. I imagine he merely showed the tweet to the guy concerned.

It honestly blows my mind that so many people in this thread just cannot accept how posting a photo of a racist cartoon (which only a few years ago had a spear, how much more on the nose can you be?) could be construed by other people as being offensive. Even if something doesn't offend you personally as an older white male from the UK (probably), how hard is it to think about things from someone else's perspective for one minute and see how maybe, other people would not like to be reminded of racist images from the last century which historically have been used to dehumanize?

But, but, it was a private joke between mates! No...it wasn't. Twitter is a public platform, and in the same way you modify your language if you're up on stage giving a business presentation, if you have 600,000 followers, you also modify your language to not include content which is, to put it nicely, painfully out of date with common courtesy.

If this is PC or soft or whatever, so be it. I don't really think of it that way, to me it's just called not being an asshole. It costs me absolutely nothing to do, and very likely won't affect you in the slightest also. Again, I don't think this is a heinous crime or anything, I don't think Bernardo is racist, but he made a dumb choice out of ignorance and should take it as a lesson.

Shoving
You’re inflaming the situation - which is what easily offended people do. I imagine he merely showed the tweet to the guy concerned.
Don’t forget I was also making “demands”.

“Shoving” and “demanding” of a “black guy”, it sounds from his version of events like I attempted to remake Amistad in our office.

Reactions: CC1
John Barnes says it's not racist and basically says it's nonsense. There you go. He can't see the issue.

Really? I'm surprised. Most fans of other clubs are trying to use it as a stick to beat us with. I'm glad John Barnes has seen that the subject is much bigger than football rivalries and has called it as it is - a storm in a teacup.
My view is similar, there is no doubt that it is not meant to be racist , but in these PC times it was an ill-advised thing to do. As a multimillion pound operation then surely City should have a media team that the players' public communications pass through ... and this is one that should only be shared in a closed group of friends, if at all.

Really? I'm surprised. Most fans of other clubs are trying to use it as a stick to beat us with. I'm glad John Barnes has seen that the subject is much bigger than football rivalries and has called it as it is - a storm in a teacup.
My view is similar, there is no doubt that it is not meant to be racist , but in these PC times it was an ill-advised thing to do. As a multimillion pound operation then surely City should have a media team that the players' public communications pass through ... and this is one that should only be shared in a closed group of friends, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.